Bandai 1/24 Mustang - Maybe F-51D...

xmh53wrench

I know what you're going through and fully understand your sentiments. Its a lot of work, that wing is big and it takes time...lots of it to get it right. I applaud your efforts to get it right. Hang in there, it will be worth it.

Geoff

Thank you Geoff.  I am hoping it will be worth it, and just not look like somebody didnt finish either riviting or puttying the wing...eeek.  

Well a bit of a break while i finished my RAF Mustang, but back on this thang again.

Although I managed to dip my finger in this very very very fragile paint (if you have ever sprayed flourescents you know EXACTLY what I am talking about) not once but twice and dragged my sleeve through it, here it is.  I am having some serious doubts as to whether I made a good choice to paint this color first and then later to mask it off for the silver.  I guess we shall see.  I am thinking I may set this aside for the week to let that red take a good set.

.....the pictures do the color NO justice though (just close your eyes and imagine the brightest traffic cone ever streaking through the air at 400mph).....here it is.....

CAM02449_zps95408748.jpg

CAM02446_zpsad0fedbd.jpg

This stuff is like spraying candy colors, there is really no such thing as a perfect touch up.  Calling Lady Luck.....come kick Murphy in the keister!!!

Thank you guys very much.   Yep she's bright!

Not much to report, I did manage some touch up, and its about as good as its going to get.  And last night I painted the glare shield.

CAM02467_zpsf17b4e7a.jpg

I also believe there are two panels that surround the exhaust on the engine cowling that are stainless steel, so I think I will be painting those and the exhaust heat shields with some Alclad chrome to make them look as if they were polished....(something I wouldve done as an overachieving crew-chief ;)).

And I think I am going to leave off the gloss black band just behind the spinner.  Thanks for looking in....

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Holy Cow is the fluorescent bright but sure looks mighty good.  Clear gloss over the Alclad will surely kill the mtallic shine and give you the painted gloss aluminum lacquer finish. Best to use: Alclad Klear Gloss (lacquer) or MM Metailizer Sealer.

Sure is looking mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks you guys, well more pics is what you asked for.....

Here ya go!!!

c4b7e510-3203-4eff-8a82-04dc3d161755_zps

CAM02473_zps207f5638.jpg

CAM02476_zps9e2b43dd.jpg

CAM02475_zps5ef33042.jpg

CAM02474_zpsb6882713.jpg

So, I sprayed the Alclad Chrome 107 around the exhaust.......very happy

Masked and sprayed Alclad Aluminum 101......very very very happy.

No clear, I really like the look right now, very 50's fighter, the clear wouldve killed that I believe.

Alclad is amazing stuff, sprays so good, dries very well, and seems to take decals very good as also.  I did a test panel with the clear and without  clear over a small decal, and though i could see an outline of the carrier coat, there was no real difference between the two.

Tomorrow is decal day, and get the rockets cleaned up and painted.  Good chance I may be done with this one real soon.  Thanks for checking in, this one is going to be pretty impressive on the shelf if I may say so myself.