Hobbyboss 1/18 AV-8B Harrier II released

Guest Vulcan32

Mine arrived this afternoon. In some areas, it gives the feel of a smaller kit resized upwards, particularly the cockpit consoles. Otherwise, it is an excellent canvas on which to detail and improve. The locator pins are massive and impart a solid feel throughout. You get a lot of model for the money, in an age where £70-100 gives you a not particularly large 1/48 kit.

https://imgur.com/a/leUCsxJ

• 1 month later...

a couple of mavericks would be nice

Picked up a BIG Harrier today from FreeTime Hobbies today at a really nice price. On first examination it's pretty nice. That said, an AM seat, a new IP, a couple GBU-38's and -12's and a LITENING Pod and pylon and you really should be good to go.

Chuck

Picked up a BIG Harrier today from FreeTime Hobbies today at a really nice price. On first examination it's pretty nice. That said, an AM seat, a new IP, a couple GBU-38's and -12's and a LITENING Pod and pylon and you really should be good to go.

Chuck

But does any of this stuff exist in 1/18 scale? The lack of extras in this scale is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

But does any of this stuff exist in 1/18 scale? The lack of extras in this scale is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

This. Most of the guys I have seen who are up-detailing their kits or modifying the earlier pre-built planes have had to scratchbuild nearly all of their stuff. I have not seen anyone yet say they were able to buy what they needed. Is the market large enough for someone to step in with this type of aftermarket?

Hey guys, I really doubt there's much out there in the 1/18th aftermarket. But I may have a plan to at least build up an accurate AV-8B Plus Radar Harrier. I'd like to get hold of the 1/32 Eduard PE Zoom Set and blow the parts up to 1/18 scale. Do any of you math guys goes know how much I should enlarge the parts on a copier to use at a pattern. Many thanks.

Chuck

Hey guys, I really doubt there's much out there in the 1/18th aftermarket. But I may have a plan to at least build up an accurate AV-8B Plus Radar Harrier. I'd like to get hold of the 1/32 Eduard PE Zoom Set and blow the parts up to 1/18 scale. Do any of you math guys goes know how much I should enlarge the parts on a copier to use at a pattern. Many thanks.

Chuck

32/18 = 1.78 = 178%

My personal view is that if I was going to buy something that big, for that amount of money, I would want to scratch build the details. It is just the way I feel, but the bigger things get, the more I want to put the effort into crafting things by hand.

Scaling up 1/32 (or 1/24) things as a pattern is a great idea.

• 1 month later...

Just to come in on here I am just near completion and to be honest the kit is not that good there are many fit issues here parts with big gaps flaps airlons are all made to move but try don't as they foul up so what could be a good kit is not a good kit. 

Just to add the cockpit detail is rubbish I had to scratch build mine complete just to look any good I did think the Airfix Harrier 1/25 had issues but that is a far better kit.

• 3 weeks later...

• Hi all
  •     Are there any after market products for this kit as mines on it’s way and from what I’ve seen the pits a little on the naff side.  Any help would be most appreciated thank you.