How Long? : Tamiya Enamel

Gazzas

In my experience with matt enamels, you should be able to handle and brush touch-up the model after overnight.

Now having said that I use regular paint thinner instead of turpentine, which as I understand takes longer to dry, which could account for your accelerated dry time and the rougher finsish.

Generally, I hate buying proprietary thinners.  But I might have to in this case. 

Generally, I hate buying proprietary thinners.  But I might have to in this case. 

Considering the time and expense you have invested thus far, I would think it would be more then worth your trouble.

I tend to use the thinner of the paint brand I am using as well.  That does mean I have multiple thinners (Four at count - Model Master Metalizer, Model Master Acryl, Tamiya Acrylic and Vallejo Acrylic) but the results seem to me to be better that way.

I paint over the Vallejo primer almost immediately, and then mask within about 12 hours using de-tacked Tamiya tape.  If I can wait 24 hours so much the better.

I have not seen the Tamiya Enamels in the US either - seems they are not carried by the stores here.  But I tend not to use enamels due to the smell.

FWIW.  But it is tempting to look at the MRP, Mr Color Paints that are out...