Revell 1/32 Duo Discus

Cap'n Wannabe

Ive got similar 1:1 strips of clear tape to represent on my 1/32nd Extra 330 SC...................I was planning on making them out of masking tape, but it would be relatively obvious they were painted and not clear, so if you are like me, and want to represent the visual underneath (in this case the evident seam between wing parts) I plan on cutting strips from a sheet of clear frisket film which already has a self adhesive back side, and should work good for this application as well as the clear tape strips for my Extra

I would say that clear tape should work as well, but sometimes clear tape has much less tear resistance, and can sometimes cut funky since its also a bit less durable than frisket film. 

Id say get some of both and experiment............that is what I plan on doing. 

The tape on the second picture is not clear tape but it's thin enough so you can see through it. It's just electrical insulation tape.

You have to consider that the tape is approximately 20mm wide and the thickness less than 0.5mm

It gives for 1/32 scale 0.625mm wide and 0.015mm thick.

A very thin stripe of decal should be OK to represent it.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly goes the progress on this one...

I primed, filled, sanded, re-primed and finally painted the left wing.  One(ish) coats of Tamiya grey, followed by four light coats of Gunze Mr Base white 1000, all from the rattle can.  The right wing has been primed, and is halfway between being filled and sanded, then re-primed, with the fuselage still getting it's initial fill/sand.  Did I mention I hate sanding?

The only things left to do with this wing are polishing, decalling, and sealing.  Then maybe another polish..

AKXeiHQl.jpg

WhEWxril.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well done on the CIR mate.

Thanks Eric....now all I have to do is sort the medical issue out and I'm away!  :)

The last thing I did before putting the kit away was use the EricG method of getting a decent gloss finish.  Unfortunately, I got a little overenthusiastic with the smoothing of the white primer, and took it back to grey in some places.  So today, I repainted *most* of the wing - I also managed to break off both the locating spars at the root, so I had to clamp the wing and do it half at a time.  Two more coats on the second half and I'll have a second crack at smoothing the white..

More painting today.....and another small screwup.  When I was painting, instead of laying the wing down flat and spraying the upper surface, letting it dry, then flipping it over and doing the lower surface (which, with hindsight, was a *far* better idea..), I used a clamp to hold one end and spray the other, then vice versa.  When I removed the clamp after the second round, I noticed it had left some marks on the paint, which I thought were indentations.  Turns out (after trying to feather the areas) they were dirt left on the paint, which I could have simply washed off......so more painting required......damn my impetuousness!  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: