F-35A, 34th FS Hill AFB

Zero77

Great show!  Excellent presentation.

UgTbS44.jpg

What is the blue in all of the grey?

I dont know what it is exactly, certainly a kind of tinted glass, a sensor, or something. I used the dark blue part of the kit decal even if i guess it should look a bit darker (the decal covers the whole grey+blue area, and i painted the grey area).

On the real aircraft it often appears black although depending of the light reflection it may look blueish or even purple.

yeOgfs2.jpg
UNR1mu1.jpg
U3CL86s.jpg

Thanks a lot for your kind comments !
Edited by Zero77

You did a bang up job on the F-35! It's one of those airplanes that has to grow on you! I've flown several Lockheed products so how can you not love a Herk! Great job on the zig zag panels and capturing that new paint that's still those blah gray shades. The F-104 in your display case is another favorite of mine too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely terrific! Your paint looks like it laid down so clean and thin. The time masking those panles was well worth it, you got some great contrast there.

From experience I can say the canopy isn't you. Seems we all have trouble getting it to fit. Looks like you mated it up pretty clean though.

Absolutely terrific! Your paint looks like it laid down so clean and thin. The time masking those panles was well worth it, you got some great contrast there.

From experience I can say the canopy isn't you. Seems we all have trouble getting it to fit. Looks like you mated it up pretty clean though.

Thanks !

It's a relief to read that there is obviously an issue with the canopy. I really struggled with the fit. Actually i had to sand some of the contact surfaces to adjust the fit and reduce the step i got at the rear, added some plastic sheet on the rear, filled most of the gap all around with Mr surfacer and then rescribed with a razor saw. It took me several hours. I prefer aicraft with canopy closed as you then just get the pure lines of it. I usually dont glue them so i can  open it to see the cockpit job. But in that cas i had no choice but glue it.