77 replies to this topic

#76 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,737 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:05 AM

Gaz

Looks good and if Jay recommends anything "109" related, he is the king!

I've never used masks that way and am wondering if backing off the working psi and a ,2 tip AB might be helpful in getting the results you want.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Gazzas likes this

B5WSeE.jpg

#77 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

Jay and Peter,

Thank you for the recommendations.  This is obviously an area I need to bone up on.  I don't really have a lot of air brush experience, only been using one for a couple of years.  Another airbrush would put me at three, though number one is showing a lot of wear and has me contemplating  chucking it.

I recently took a kit from the SOD and made it a paint hack.  So, I can practice without fear of ruining a paint job and having to go back to square one.

I also took some 4000-grit micromesh and wore down the paint a little, so the mottle looks a little less stark.  A few washes should help a bit, too.   It helped a little:

AJdt3v.jpg

hglXNj.jpg

My only concession to weathering so far is some surface paint scratching at the wing root, and side of the canopy whee the pilot would climb in.  I'm no longer going to go for bare metal anywhere on a LW bird unless I see some good, unequivocal photographic evidence.

QXKdWA.jpg

The AK paints, while I like their colors and ease of use are very, very frail.  Even easier to flake off than the stuff I make with tube paint and Future.

Thanks again!

Gaz

• LSP_Kevin and tucohoward like this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#78 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,737 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Gaz
I’m holding steady with four air brushes these days and all are H&S and Iwatas. All have different tip sizes allowing different paint application. Over the years, I’ve found varying the psi just a bit and jockying the trigger allows me to handle specific needs and effects.
Seems buying air brushes is a disease with no known cure.
Peter
  • tucohoward and Gazzas like this

B5WSeE.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users