Product Review AMS Resin Napalm Bombs!

LSP_Paul

Hi Folks!  I'm back again with a product review for AMS Resins new 1/32 scale napalm bombs in resin and man are they detailed!

The BLU 27B's were 750 lb fire bombs were filled with Napalm B and the BLU-32 was the 500lb version also filled with Napalm B. These  could be carried by most of the fast movers and props in Vietnam and into the 80's and the models of them from AMS are perfect for just those kind of subjects. 

AMS has just released these weapons in the following versions:

finned with end caps

un-finned with end caps

un-finned with no end caps.

AMS Has previously released : 

The travel BLU-27 pods. Both the BLU-27 canister and the later purpose built pods without the filler caps.

http://store.spruebr..._p/ams32075.htm

http://store.spruebr..._p/ams32078.htm

Harold has re-mastered the pods so that they are cast in one piece. They do have a larger casting block on the bottom, but after removing and cleaning them up, they look better painted. These are the new pods below.

DSC00592_zps48d4c05b.jpg

DSC00594_zps4a1b6846.jpg

Now in most pictures of jet aircraft carrying these, they have end caps installed to make them the least drag producing and the plugs in the ends aren't visible. F-100's for example commonly flew them without fins but with end caps installed and this produced a tumbling delivery when released from the aircraft.

In a  lot of pictures you'll see of Skyraiders in particular, you will see they could be flown in any configuration as AMS have modeled them and they fill up the bottom of a huge model Skyraider wing nicely!  

The resin is super smooth and the welds and other details are very crisp and nicely done. Pour stubs to me were minimal and the parts fit well with very little extra sanding. I shot the painted samples with Krylon semi gloss black acrylic and then various shades of Allclad II.

I think it took me about a half an  hour to clean all three up, prep, paint and airbrush. 

DSC00595_zpsad41fdfb.jpg

DSC00598_zpsb2b12ed5.jpg

DSC00601_zps3ab0ab17.jpg

Thank you to Harold at AMS Resin for providing all of us some accurately detailed armament to hang under our models!

And thank you Harold for the review samples of these great new products!

Paul

Edited by av8shunmodels

Thanks Paul. And Harold, your the greatest !.........Harv

Harolds the greatest, I just build paint and review his stuff, and happily so!  My next project will have the most accurate Snake and Nape load you can buy for your models under it.  :)

Paul 

Harolds the greatest, I just build paint and review his stuff, and ....

Paul 

I couldn't help but hear a fictitious Harold voice say, then my son-in-law puts in in the oven and torches it!

Gah..

Shake his can of beer Harold!

Matty

Ps They look great..just what we need to start a BBQ when the wood is wet. :evil_laugh:

Just make sure the pilots target designator is on...don't want to hit the house.

Matty, Harold's Son in Law is now in the witness protection program.. in deep hiding.. I'm sure when Harold got done "explaining" what he had done the poor lad was trying to buy a ticket out of the country. :rofl: 

Paul  

Guest Clunkmeister

Harolds the greatest, I just build paint and review his stuff, and happily so! My next project will have the most accurate Snake and Nape load you can buy for your models under it. :)

Paul

Nah,

Paul, you're HALF right.

These are the best looking nape cans I've ever seen. They have me looking for a project go hang them from. Order going out...

So, you're next project will have the SECOND most accurate snake and nape load on...

:rofl:

Edited by Clunkmeister

Nah,

Paul, you're HALF right.

These are the best looking nape cans I've ever seen. They have me looking for a project go hang them from. Order going out...

So, you're next project will have the SECOND most accurate snake and nape load on...

:rofl:

Says you....

:)

Thanks for the review Paul.

Ya done good!

Just to let you know. I have already made the travel BLU-27 pods. Both the BLU-27 canister and the later purpose built pods without the filler caps.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams32075.htm

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams32078.htm

I have re-mastered the pods so that they are cast in one piece. They do have a larger casting block on the bottom, but after removing and cleaning them up, they look better painted.

Harold

Edited by Harold

Matty, Harold's Son in Law is now in the witness protection program.. in deep hiding.. I'm sure when Harold got done "explaining" what he had done the poor lad was trying to buy a ticket out of the country. :rofl:

Paul  

Haha, yes, he still walks softly around me....

Edited by Harold

Thanks for the review Paul.

Ya done good!

Just to let you know. I have already made the travel BLU-27 pods. Both the BLU-27 canister and the later purpose built pods without the filler caps.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams32075.htm

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams32078.htm

I have re-mastered the pods so that they are cast in one piece. They do have a larger casting block on the bottom, but after removing and cleaning them up, they look better painted.

Harold

Thanks for the Updated info Harold, I updated and edited my review to reflect that.

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Clunkmeister

I'm looking for a way to justify them under a Rumpler....

But I got 'em for my Hun, so I get to play too!

Edited by Clunkmeister