Thunderbird Leader is all finished! What surprised me, and I am really happy with the effect, is that the gray panel line accent showed up darker after putting the clear coat on her. I use the classic Testors Clear. No matter what I've always had great luck with this stuff. You can just watch it flow and level out on the model.
This is the 1st red uniform I've done. Much harder to shadow red compared to the classic blue. I stuck with the instructions and so the canopy is removable. I like that with the detail in the cockpit but on it's own it is just a little shy of sitting down tight.
I spent some time on the fan trying to get a good worn look so I had to find a way to get a glamour shot. The intake isn't completely seemeless but it's close, you have to look to see it on the one side. I tried a method using cement to melt the plastic at the joint. With more practice I think i will work like the tutorial for me.
The white really glossed up. I used RCW gloss paints and they make a great foundation to add clear too.
Here's how the panel lines look in a close-up.
Last, here is the tail with flame on! The afterburner exhaust effect I think turned out good on the finished model. I may add some fine cotton ball threads in there for some smoke effect once I clean up the stand.
On the bench - 1/48 Revell PT-17, close to being a RedBull special, 1/48 Monogram F-16 Alaska Aggressor,
1/32 T-38 Thunderbird custom build, on hold awaiting seats from the new KH model,
1/32 F/A-18A kitbash - augmenting the Haz YF prototype model with Aries cockpit, misc Academy kit parts, and parts generously donated by red Dog & Dragon!