Ron, I'm now wishing I had decided to close the cowling, as well. Maybe it's not too late. There's plenty to show without the engine.
Thank you, Tomek. It too is my pleasure to follow your build.
Thank you, Filippo. Your jumping beans make me smile.
Well, after viewing Wolfs' Magnificent Merlin it became clear to me that it was time to stop short-changing this build. Call it Winter Doldrums, Residual Effect from the near disaster of the K-4 build, or whatEVERRR! I was comprimising too many decisions for no sake at all.
So with renewed vigor, and X-Acto blade, I began again.
Making a loom. I've got more than a few more of these to make. Hard drive communication cable wiring.
In place. The electrical line closest to the camera: I drilled the styrene rod and inserted a brass rod so when the 90degree bend was made the rod retained its shape.
A simple jig to drill .030 punched hex nuts. I squeezed the strips to hold the nut in place while I center punched and drilled. These have been doubled up.
In place. The discs are .005. 2 stacked .010 discs were too thick, and a single .010 disc was not accurate. So I punched out large and small .005 discs. Stacked hex nuts as retainers. .012 brass rod.
A simple jig to cut .010 hex nuts from rod.
The reason for all of those .010 hex nuts.
Re-doing 2 of these took most of the time. Doesn't look very different from before in this view. But it's 99% brand new.
A difference can be seen in this view. Following Wolfs' lead I searched thru my references to see if the tie-down ring could be found in a position other than horizontal and came up blank. But that is not to say there may be something on the net, where I did not search. Because, it doesn't make sense to me that the tie-down would not be on a swivel. Anyway, I shaved it off and rotated it, redid the brake line and tie in to the brake cylinder, and added a nut and grease fitting at the top. The green insulation is supposed to represent lock nuts.
2 new nuts; different sizes, a grease fitting, a punched disc at the resin bolt, and a new flexible hose to strut connection, which is more in synch with the real deal. I am awaiting new punches so I can punch a couple of sub-miniature discs.
2 more below.