Revell early Mustang CHECK MATE!

quang

Quang,

Hats off to you Sir! Simply brilliant: the finish and the technique.

Cheers, Tom

Much obliged, Tom.

As for the technique, watch this WWII footage of the 325th Group to see how they did it on the real a/c. Quick and neat  :bow: Start at 47:10.

Cheers,

Q

Edited by quang

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to Revell early Mustang CHECK MATE!
  • 2 years later...

I took the easy way out and took the Tamiya 1/32 P-51 that has all the items w/out major surgery.your work is outstanding and correct in modification for an early type of P-51.I did take note and I will go that path like you did in a conversion.Again:Great work.Thank you.

@silver I’m glad you found the conversion helpful.
Myself I had a kick doing the WIP. I gave the finished model to an old friend from my schooldays years. Just checked the date: 2018. It could have been decades ago! Time flies.

Best wishes,

Quang

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, quang said:

Hello Joerg,

I know about the 2° offset. It's a can of worms that I'm not sure I want to open.

Others planes like the Skyraider, have it. The offset applies to the entire vertical fin, not just the DFF.

The optical effect is quite subtil.

Airfix tried it on their recent 1/48 P-51D. A brave attempt but not conclusive IMHO

Don't ask me why I am now reading through this (excellent) build.  Probably because I love Mustangs, and I respect Quang's modeling skills.  

As for asymmetric vertical tail - there are several physical effects that make a single engine aircraft with a clockwise turning propeller (when viewed by the pilot) want to veer to the left, especially on take-off.  Quite complicated, but it involves gyroscopic effects, prop wash effects on the tail, and even tire drag where one tire sees more load than the other due to heavy torque on the airframe.  It is known that powerful single engine aircraft like WW2 fighters could "ground loop" during takeoff in the hands of an inexperienced pilot, and that was caused by these kinds of effects; when combined could be strong.  To help counter this, the vertical fin is oriented to provide load to counter that left-veering tendency.  Tilting the direction of the vertical tail would work to counter this tendency.  Presumably, during flight where speeds are higher and engine torque is lower, rudder trim would be applied to counter the tail fin asymmetry, along with any aileron trim needed to counter secondary effects of engine torque and the rudder trim.  Basic knowledge of aircraft aerodynamics (something I only know just a bit of) explains better than I can.