Bedford 6 Pdr AT Gun

TaffyMan

Nice work

The PE realy does add to the finesse. This will look very nice when finished.

Matt

Cheers Matt The PE does help with detail but I am surprised that the set doesn't do anything with the gun just the truck!!!! Shame could do with some.

Taff

Well that is coming along quite nicely... :clap2:

Engine looks impressive and NEAT . :m0152:

Yeah nice engine hid away underneath :rolleyes:

How goes this??

Hi Mike sorry was meant do an update last week :whistle: but work has kicked off so didn't find time to get to it - I will make amends this week :D

He's certainly doing a great job of it so far.

Thanks Kev Am enjoying chasing all these fiddly bits that I have pinged around the room only lost one so far to the carpet monster. Also am loving the Den Fighters some cool stuff :clap2:

Thanks for looking in and happy modeling - Taff :D

Hi guys I have been slowly ticking away at this for the last two weeks. Work has been real busy so getting in the way of model time. :rolleyes:

So on to my progress.

I went back and revisited the chain and holders. I managed to get the loops a bit more even plus put some electric insulator to make a false nut. I think take two looks a lot better.

016-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

With this redone I thought I would try a dry fit of the cabin and the flat back. The back sat down okay. Not the same for the cabin. Somehow the radiator wouldn’t fit into the recess properly. It is even worse when you put the cabin front on, which just would not sit on!

017-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

This side view shows the gap under the front mudguard. Uhm! :shrug:

018-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Right got bored of looking and trying to work out this so will revisit later! So went and primed the bits ready for some painting.

019-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

After a coat of Humbrol 63 Sand I got down to doing some weathering. I started with the cabin with a bit of rubbing back to the underlying aluminium colour. I then rubbed in a bit of powdered graphite, to make it look more worn steel. Then it was to make some sand. I started with underside of the front mudguards.

022-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

You can also see where the radiator has pushed the PE panel out of shape. Um that problem again I think the answer will be to take the radiator of the chassis and fit it into the cabin I will test this! :hmmm:

Then stared to give the inside some treatment and a bit of a work over. Also you can see here I have put the dash on and a bit of Maskol to protect the dials.

021-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Okay think I am at the picture limit so will be back in a mo!

Taff :D

Back with some more

The winch was next.

I first removed the plastic wire from the hook and after a bit of a tidy before drilling a hole. Then I made some wire from thread. This was painted with silver 11. Then just before it was fully dry I rolled it to make sure there are no hairy bits. I then gave it a bit of dry brush with gunmetal then a mix of dark brown and flat black. This was then threaded on to the hook then carefully wound around and stuck to the winch.

020-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

After removing the radiator everything is now sitting down properly. So that is how I will do the final fit and stick the rad into the cabin. :shrug: Why this problem I have no idea but hay onwards!

023-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Okay somehow I managed to stick one of the door handles on upside Doh :BANGHEAD2: – this I very carefully removed with a scalpel and cleaned up the area then stuck it back down in the correct place

024-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I have had a look around and there isn’t much pictures or info about these vehicles. Some of the info I have found is an equipment list and placement.

This shows a fire extinguisher in the passenger foot well, so I have attempted to make one of these and the holder.

My scratchy effort

025-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Bit of paint and placed in the foot well. Looks okay to me?

027-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Bit more PE added to all the ammo boxes.

026-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Also I have been working in Illustrator on some homemade decals for this vehicle and the troops. I have run these out on to decal paper today but had the printer set to too much ink so it’s blurred a bit!

So I will need to get some more paper and redo. Typical that was my last piece. This is the artwork. Hope to show you the finished item in my next update.

028-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Till then happy modelling and thanks for looking in. Any comments or pointers always welcome.

Happy Days - Taff :D

I do build the odd target from time to time so I find this an interesting build

A question out of curiosity, would ammo boxes in the field really have pad locks? they look neat, just wondering if they would have been used (and truly not knowing either way).

I like your weathering, very convincing.

Ron

I do build the odd target from time to time so I find this an interesting build

Ron

:rofl: I got some strange looks at work as I laughed - spoke like a true airman!!!! :thumbsup:

Yep I thought the same about the padlocks - "Imagine the scene - as the German tank came over the ridge - I thought you had the keys!!!!" :oops:

But it is what the instructions say and I couldn't find much photo reference and they add a bit of interest. The kit speck I found says there should be three or four portable ammo bins on the flat bed. The kit only comes with one so I will have to see if my scratchiness is up to trying to make the others. So I think these other ones are for storage and carriage.

Taffyman

EXCEPTIONAL work..It is quite AMAZING Watching this build..

Moving along at a quick pace and enjoyable too. :goodjob:

Thanks you for such a treat :popcorn: :popcorn:

Keep up the good work.

MARU :party0023:

Cheers Maru Thanks for looking in and the encouragement - I am stretching myself here so I am glad you like it.

I haven't check on your build for a while :blush:

It's coming along very nicely, Taffy!

Question, what did you use for the mud texture as seen on the underside of the front mudguards? Looks very nice.

:popcorn:

I haven't check on your build for a while :blush:

It's coming along very nicely, Taffy!

Question, what did you use for the mud texture as seen on the underside of the front mudguards? Looks very nice.

:popcorn:

Hi mate - The sand stuff is a thing I am making up as I go along. If there is a better way :shrug: Most probably is! This is how I make my muck - first rub with much vigor and finger aching some sprue on sand paper of different grades or files. I then collect the dust, for dry mud I mix with some flat coat some Dark and Light Mig pigment and ground coloured chalks. For runny mud some liquid glue helps make it really gloppy, but be careful as this a harsh mix! Then apply to the area - Tell you what!!! - rather than write this out when I do the chassis at the weekend I will take some pictures that should explain it better than my ramblings.

Not the best answer but hope the future pictures will be a better answer.

My god, what good work. Looks just phenomenal!........Harv :popcorn: :goodjob:

Cheers Harvey - Glad you are enjoying the trip. I just hope I can deliver whats in my minds eye? Still got a long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Thanks for looking in Mike

I want to try and put some canvas cover on this. So in searching out how too I found this guy on the tinter-web.

Making Realistic Tarps By Brian Balkwill

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=3310

:speak_cool: Looked pretty cool to me so I thought I would give it a go!?? I tried the bathroom sealant I had in the garage and non of them would break down in water – or I am doing something wrong :hmmm: – my moneys is on this – So I thought I would try it with Builders Caulk, this mixes really easily with water.

029-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I tried to do this on to flat piece of paper as he did but just ended up in a mess. I then tried it on a sheet of picture glass – this seemed to work a lot better.

030-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

After the hair dryer treatment – it seems to workout might not be a robust as his with the bathroom sealant, will try and get some of this and redo it. I made two sheets should be enough!

031-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

It took the paint okay and this is picture of the rolled ground sheet on the front.

032-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

With the roll and some other bits done for the back meant it was the coming together of lots of bits and hopefully she will start to look a bit more lorry looking.

I made the windscreen up plus also made the wiper motors out of some scrap. Then all the bars and metal shield where stuck together and glued into place.

She has a face :yahoo: My be not the prettiest!!!

033-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Think I am at the Picture limit so will be back in a mo!

Okay back after the short brake

I did a bit more work in the cabin area and some more dirt applied.

034-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Next put the homemade decals on the water cans closed these up stuck them into place.

035-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Then with all the lower Ammo Boxes in place and both the cabin and flat bed stuck down – She is know a bit more like a Truck!!!!

036-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Whilst I waited for these to set I started on some more detailed work with the Bren Guns. The kit gun didn’t come with the front legs so this is my effort at a scratched version. I also made the straps out of tape and some thin wire. Need a bit of colour and should look okay!

040-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I'l finish with a quick tour of her. I will be next getting some muck out to dirty up the lower parts and some decals before finishing the back.

037-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

038-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

039-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Till next time I hope you enjoyed and any comments, hints and tips always welcome

Happy Days Taff :D