HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Great photo's! PNG is/was a gold mine old old WWII wrecks. What heights were you doing your high Alt training at?  Can get dangerous up in the high country ! The weather can change by the minute.

Damn that's fine! Great images, pretty cool company car you got there Craig.

Torben

Hahaha, she sure is! I wouldn't trade her for anything else in the sky, except maybe a mustang...... ;)

Great photo's! PNG is/was a gold mine old old WWII wrecks. What heights were you doing your high Alt training at?  Can get dangerous up in the high country ! The weather can change by the minute.

We're restricted to 10,000 feet normally as we don't carry oxygen, but the chook will go much much higher. Simulated engine failures in dead-end valleys are quite sporting. It also makes for "interesting" flying up in PNG, as certain passes close usually around mid day with cloud and rain build ups. We only got caught on the wrong side once, and had an overnight sleep out in the back of the aircraft at Lae. It sounds as though you are familiar with flying in PNG? 

You are the baddest ass model builder ! 

Hahaha, yes Jim I'll be the first one to admit I love my job :)

Craig,

Visiting those WWII artifacts must be a rewarding, yet somewhat eerie experience.

To a degree I understand locals being protective of these wrecks as a source of income, but let's be honest they are not "Disney World" attractions bringing in millions of dollars in yearly revenue.

70+ years has already taken their toll and I can't see letting nature and scavangers continue to slowly but surely turn them into unrecognizable heaps of metal.

Up close with two B-17Es --- you're a lucky man Craig.

Unfortunate you weren't able to make Dayton during your Canada trip and had a D,E,F and G all under your belt.

The false roof --- reasonably convincing?? Your critique of you work is subpar --- as usual!

Well, at least the rest of us recognize the quality of all the hard work your putting into her.

During my working days, I remember seeing some really small diameter welding rods.

Being straight and stiff, would something like this be a option to use to represent taut control cable runs?

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! .. i just stumbled on this thread... how did i miss this?

Amazing work going on here Craig!

you are not simply building - you are creating!

Phil

Hi Phil! Glad you found where I hang out :) There's way too many firsts going on here to mention, but it's immensely fun. Thanks for joining me :)

Wow, you are doing an amazing job on this project.  I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

Bil

G'day Bil, I'm glad you're following along, as I am on your Stearman. I've definitely learnt a lot from everyone on here and I'm sure you will too.

The interior of a Chinook would make a great workspace for the 1/32 B-17 builder...is that one equipped with a bench and paint rack?

Hmmmm, perhaps. Although it's a little loud and gusty for this kind of work. Nonetheless, great fun to play in :)

Craig,

Visiting those WWII artifacts must be a rewarding, yet somewhat eerie experience.

To a degree I understand locals being protective of these wrecks as a source of income, but let's be honest they are not "Disney World" attractions bringing in millions of dollars in yearly revenue.

70+ years has already taken their toll and I can't see letting nature and scavangers continue to slowly but surely turn them into unrecognizable heaps of metal.

Up close with two B-17Es --- you're a lucky man Craig.

Unfortunate you weren't able to make Dayton during your Canada trip and had a D,E,F and G all under your belt.

The false roof --- reasonably convincing?? Your critique of you work is subpar --- as usual!

Well, at least the rest of us recognize the quality of all the hard work your putting into her.

During my working days, I remember seeing some really small diameter welding rods.

Being straight and stiff, would something like this be a option to use to represent taut control cable runs?

Terry

Couldn't agree more Terry. While it is cool to go and find these wrecks in their "natural" state, It'd be nice if someone would save them before it's too late..... no easy task in a country as corrupt as PNG. 

Wow, they must be really, really small welding rods...... the way I weld, they definitely wouldn't cut it! I've seen some pretty spectacular results with EZ line, so I'm going to give it a crack. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Little progress amongst what's been a ridiculously busy couple of weeks..... Even though we have been doing some cool stuff at work, unfortunately I'm not at liberty to share those sorts of things on a public forum, so you'll just have to settle for the model progress instead.........

I decided I'd have a crack at making some internal details, namely the oxygen bottles and ammunition cans. There's a few different types in use on early forts, but the ones I've concentrated on for now are the oddly shaped ones to supply the .50cal guns and hence, the most visible.

I had a brain wave to use the laser cutter to make a hard form of the shape which I could then bend litho plate around to produce a nice shiny master. It seemed to work, but at about 6 hours to make, not overly economical in terms of effort, so I decided to try and cast copies of it. 

koppXRL.jpg

yUuc9hX.jpg?1

S519vna.jpg?1

gXQtHkM.jpg?1

D0Q5hKr.jpg?1

Being super lazy, I also made a decent pour stub using the laser cutter. Good trick for the future too! :)

WLuSXGs.jpg

And voila! It came out pretty good as a one piece cast :)

eHBjvgv.jpg?1

xVUXetm.jpg?1

I tried the oxygen bottle as a two part mould first, but they turned out ultra-crap and time intensive to try and save, so I bit the bullet and made a new, one-piece mould. 

wUld20T.jpg?1

Second time around, much better, and far less clean up!

rLZ6LuK.jpg

It's getting to the part of the year where we farewell people from work, so I've also been busy making presentos on the cutter. I spent a day making the chinook drawings and it took the machine all of about two minutes to do the "etching." 

3KrMAi6.jpg

I thought maybe I was being a little indulgent when I brought the machine, but I absolutely love it. I also had an idea that I could produce things like formers and brackets in litho by making "dies" out of acyrlic and "hydro-forming" them. Looks pretty straight forward, I just need to build a press in all my spare time :)

Only a brief update, but I'm starting to make some inroads on getting the rear fuselage floor built, which means I'll soon be adding things like gun mounts and the like..... exciting times!!!!

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by brahman104