Hobby Boss P-61B out

Dave Williams

Pre ordered and paid for £105... Glad I did .. looks to be a beautiful kit,

Although , reading the comments here http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=256245, I seem to be in a minority...!

Gentlemen .. let battle commence!

Hi Colin,

I'm not so sure that the kit is really as bad as some make out from the sprue shots and display example. Personally - even though it is marketed as a P-61B - I would shorten the fuselage back to the forward face of the nose wheel bay (the scale 8"extension) and complete the model as a P-61A. That way, the kit radome and main leg doors would be correct for an early version of this aircraft.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

The link says 'sold out' with 2 guys on the waiting list.....interesting.

Will wait until Gordon posts something on his site before getting the warm fuzzies/happy dance...

I'll still be ordering a couple...waited too many decades for this one to come out...

Engine fronts....top turret....props...might have an issue or two, but haven't seen a perfect kit yet at any price...safe bet AM guys will address these.

Looks like a P-61 to me.

Just my .02 worth....

Cheers,

Jim

Guest Peterpools

What happened to the $175 price? For $250, I'll be passing and waiting to see what Sprue Brothers will be selling them for. If it's much over the $175, might have to pass.

Edited by Peterpools

Personally - even though it is marketed as a P-61B - I would shorten the fuselage back to the nose bay (the scale 8"extension) and complete the model as a P-61A. That way, the kit radome and main leg doors would be correct for an early version of this aircraft.

Great advice. Can you recommend any drawings which illustrate this?

Edited by Kagemusha

Japan charges protectionist import duties on foreign kits so I would take the prices listed on HLJ and Hobby Search with a grain of salt. Just check what they charge for other kits and you'll see what I mean.

The HK B-25 is $230 at HLJ while the US retail is $166 just illustrates this.

http://www.hlj.com/product/HKM01E02

And unlike the UK, they don't refund the tax if you're exporting it.

I would wait and see what the Hong Kong shops (Lucky and Hobby Easy) charge since there is no tax or duties there (last I recall anyways). Or better yet, your LHS :)

Carl

Guys, that is the price in Japan, in yen, converted to USD. That doesn't necessarily mean that's the price it will be when it arrives over here or in other countries.

Looking at the instructions, they appear to have made the one of the same errors that GWH did on the 1/48 kit. Namely, the bullet shaped reduction gear housing on front of the engine, which is wrong for the P-61.

Edited by Dave Williams

Price aside, that's an impressive looking kit with what appears to be a ton of detail, I will be definitely saving up for this one! One question to those who know the plane, and looking at the spruce pics and instructions on 1999.co.jp, are the ailerons really that short? They look almost comical on the wing