Another DML Focke Wulf. This Time an A-6!

mywifehatesmodels

After I finished my Wurmheller A-5, I figured I'd knock this one out, also, since it was already half built. I ended up swapping out the fuselage with one of the other DML kits, as the wing root area on both fuselage halves was bowed inward so bad. This made the already poor fit in this area even worse, so I opted to put that one aside for later.

Decals are from Aeromaster and it's in the markings of Rudolf Hubl's plane, from 1./JG1. I've always wanted to do a "checker nose" scheme and will likely do at least one more in 1/32 scale, so this served as a good test bed, of sorts. Paints were the usual MM enamels with a water color wash and a bit of pastel chalk before sealing with Testors Dullcote.

Also, I want to thank BradG for sending me the link to the landing gear fix for these kits. I had seen it before, but he saved me the trouble of hunting for it (thanks again, Brad!). I still wanted to keep in the "quick" build mode, but the high sitting A-5 still bugged me, so I knew this one would have to be done right. To do this, I shortened the insertion tabs on the legs and angled them forward a little more. I also had to lengthen the retraction arms a bit to compensate. I think it turned out much better and I'll include a photo of the two planes, nose to nose, so you can see the difference.

I like how this one turned out. I saw a few flaws after I got it painted that, had I not been in such a hurry, I would have fixed (like the A-8 fuel port. Doh!) I also managed to crack a wing seam when installing the cannon barrels. I may fix it later. For now, it just got a little extra paint to try to cover it up. I wanted to get some good outdoor shots, but it's too sunny out, again. I did the best I could with an impromptu "studio" on my workbench, but I'm hoping to get better pics, soon.

Fw190A-6Hubl002.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl007.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl004.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl005.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl003.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl006.jpg

Oh MY ! That is just an amazing job on my favorite FW...love that checker board nose and the weathering is awesome. I may just have to pull one from my stash and try to do a similar job. Great fix on the landing gear, the comparision shot really shows how off the kit setup is.

Well done !

vaughn

Thanks, gents!

Kevin,

I knew that the gear were a problem in this kit and it did bother me. However, I didn't realize how much it bothered me, until Brad sent me that link and I looked at the comparison (a photo like the one I took above). Then it surely drove me nuts! :frantic: Getting them right was a small pain and it only took two attempts. It was worth it.

I had a couple of clouds roll in, so I took some outdoor pics, also. Of course, now that I sit down at the computer, even more clouds came in and conditions would be optimum, but I'm not hauling all my stuff out there, again! :shrug:

Thanks again,

John

Fw190A-6Hubl027.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl026.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl025.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl024.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl023.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl022SMALL1024.jpg

Fw190A-6Hubl021SMALL1024.jpg

:piliot:

The third and fourth shots look amazingly real...put those in B&W and they could pass for late war. Amazing work both with the model and the photography.

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks, Vaughn. And, you read my mind! I was thinking of doing some B&W shots when I was cropping these. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks again,

John