Cessna O-2A `Jade 07' The man meets the model.

ericg

Hi Eric, have you ever tried GRS-Thermo- Loc Sticks? They are used in the jewellery trade to hold rings etc while you work on them. The product is also good for molding shapes etc and you can vac over them. The sticks become pliable in hot water and set up at room temperature. You can use them over and over. Just thinking you could have used this stuff to push through the window opening and then trim to shape and use it as a mold. I have used them for years in the ship modelling to make multiple shapes. Just remember to pop it in the freezer before you vac form over it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GRS-Thermo-Loc-Sticks-1-4-Lb-Package-003-664-THERMO-LOCK/131269927855?hash=item1e904c23af:m:mhDgzi82XfJbCL7nC70PH0Q

Cheers

I hadn't thought of using that but it looks like a good product.

Thanks guys.

As usual, great work. Would you consider perhaps selling a new window to us less talented modelers?

Chuck

Hi Chuck, saw your question on my Facebook page as well. Not sure if I will put these into production or not. Maybe if I had 10 or so orders I might but I don't get a huge amount of time to do my own modelling at the moment.

Eric.

Onto the instrument panel. David sent me a pic that he took of his panel. Bearing in mind that the aircraft was only a year or so old, there is plenty of dirt and grime that has accumulated.

cockpit-X2.jpg

The Roden instrument panel is OK, but there is some missing detail of some important features that I felt needed to be improved. Notice the lack of gear and flap selector, and the totally woeful depiction of the throttle quadrant.

IMG_1108-X3.jpg

I needed to scratch build some detail to do it justice.

First up, I chiseled out the stubs representing the Throttle, pitch and mixture levers.

IMG_1115-X3.jpg

I then Scribed 6 lines as closely as I could into a thin section of plastic card, which would then become the slots in which some new levers would be inserted.

IMG_1110-X3.jpg

I made up some new knobs from plastic card and mounted these on some levers that I cut from a piece of scrap photo etch sheet. The panel will be fairly visible through the open door, so I think this detail is quite important.

IMG_1363-X3.jpg

IMG_1365-X3.jpg

Nicely done, Eric.

'and just clipped the plastic onto it '

Do you have a manufacturers' name for the plastic?  Or can you tell me the type and depth of the plastic you used?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks guys.

Hi Chuck, saw your question on my Facebook page as well. Not sure if I will put these into production or not. Maybe if I had 10 or so orders I might but I don't get a huge amount of time to do my own modelling at the moment.

Eric.

I'd buy a set, so that's two so far...

Great thread, needless to say.

• 3 weeks later...

I love it. I know I'm not close to your league, but I can strive...

I did see two O-2A's today in Ft. Worth Texas. At the museum there. one is a grey O-2A and the other is a Black one that they flew at night. unfortunately they are painted ficticiously and the fonts appear to be wrong. The black one is one they just cobbled together from 3 or 4 different wrecks I believe. The other is one that several of the guys at the FAC museum had flown in Da Nang amongst others

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

Incredible work you are doing here.

We are monitoring this thread with much interest because we discovered what seems to be our own aircraft in the logbooks of David: USAF 67-21300.

Thanks to you we have managed to get in touch with him.

We operate the O-2 from our home base in the Netherlands.

https://www.instagram.com/postbellumfoundation/

If you are ever in the neighbourhood, feel free to get in touch for a hangar tour.

Also if you need any close up pictures, let us know.

Erik Brouwer

Postbellum Foundation

Secretary

Hi Eric,

Incredible work you are doing here.

We are monitoring this thread with much interest because we discovered what seems to be our own aircraft in the logbooks of David: USAF 67-21300.

Thanks to you we have managed to get in touch with him.

We operate the O-2 from our home base in the Netherlands.

https://www.instagram.com/postbellumfoundation/

If you are ever in the neighbourhood, feel free to get in touch for a hangar tour.

Also if you need any close up pictures, let us know.

Erik Brouwer

Postbellum Foundation

Secretary

Hi Erik, thanks for the info. Great to hear that you got in touch with David.

I will have another update shortly, have just been busy with learning the new job.

Cheers,

Eric.