A Texan in the Heart of Darkness - T-6G in Biafran war

dutik

Added the engine:

biafra17q8u3o.jpg

Also had some mission creep: That resin is not for the Texan, or the Beagle.

Speaking of the Beagle:

We shall get a LSP scale one. Not this year, but it is on schedule. Yeah! :punk:

And the resin parts for the small scale Beagle arrived. Cut some cockpit parts to fit and started painting.

Regards

- dutik

Better, my old fellow, much better!

In styrene!

Did my homework: Too big for Eduard, HPH is busy with other stuff (and I prefer styrene over resin. HPHs kits are nice, but hard to build, as you know). Asked Fly (remember the Arado 234?), but they are not interested in that era...

So I asked someone else who is able to make large clear parts in styrene and has made kits of Cold War too. The Beagle is not on top position of the companys to-do list, but it is. The will make an announcement when ready.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Teaser:

rechlin00202ku7h.jpg

rechlin002680ui9.jpg

Regards

- dutik

Made a jig to glue the elevators in the correct positon.. Not really high tech, but it does the job :whistle:

biafra18euayn.jpg

Cowl is on, flaps are glued in place. Next is to add the small parts (hinges, control lavers and such) to wing and tailplanes. Not to forget a fistful of eyelets for the antennas.

Regards

- dutik

Finished the tailplanes. Drilled holes and slots at the lower end of fuselage and rudder to add the rudder controls which are not provided with the kit. Made them from copper wire bent to shape and some punched out styrene discs to simulate the hinges. The elevators and rudder got eyelets for the antenna wires. Tried Bobs buckles, but they are to fine for my hamfists. Even a 0,5mm drill makes a hole large enough to add half a dozen of Bobs eyelets  :ninja:  Was able to glue them in place, but lost them when I tried to fill the hole and to sand flat the surface around  :oops:  Well, finally I made my own eyelets from fine wire. They are larger than Bobs eyelets, but this is ok because the antenna eyelets are also well-sized and well visibly bolted onto the elevator surfaces. Elevators were glued in position in the last step.

biafra19j0upr.jpg

biafra20nqu3t.jpg

Next are the small parts of wing and flaps. Last major step before painting is to add the remaining cockpit pieces and the canopy.

Enjoy!

- dutik

• 5 weeks later...

As always - summer is stopping me cold...

The Texan is in the travel box now and will pay a visit at IPMS Germany meeting next weekend at the Luftwaffenmuseum Gatow (Berlin). When back there will be time to go ahead and to get it ready for painting.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the workbench again. The lower side lacked the hooks that secure the UC legs when retracted as well as some drain pipes. Cut holes into the UC bays, added hookalikes and some small brass tubes for the drain pipes:

biafra21dssfr.jpg

It is not fully accurate but better than nothing...

What else?

Visited the German Navys Engeneering school (Marinetechnikschule) near Stralsund during the open house day (and took part at the modelling exhibition there). They have a nice collection of historical stuff all around the campus and any kind of working recent equipment of the German Navy inside the buildings.

Guess our Navy members and naval history addicted know what this is:

img_4916ics2z.jpg

Something very (very) recent:

img_4918w8ss0.jpg

Folks, guess what this is?

The Otobreda 127/64 Vulcano Leightweight naval gun that is used abord the FREMM frigates as well as the upcoming German F 125 class. A fully operational training gun, minus live firing (because it's indoors... :coolio:  ). The yellow tube above catches the ejected shells to prevent damage to the walls and injuries to the trainees. Below is the dual automatic feeder with the ammo magazines. The gun moves damn fast all around and the feeder in operation makes enough noise to make wearing an ear protection a good idea, even without firing a round... :yahoo:

And of course they had a demonstration model of the longrange Vulcano round at hand :speak_cool:

Not to mention that they demonstrated the the 76mm OTO, the 25 mm and 12,7 mm remote controlled guns too, showed a lot of engines and tech of different types and demonstrated a running diesel engine that was built during WW1. Yepp, in the Kaiserreich :thumbsup:

OK, don't want to make you feel jealous :wicked:

BTW, did I mention that I am invited to see the german armed forces FLAK collection next month? The have any kind of AAA that was used by German forces. Even a Kugelblitz turret :whistle:

Regards

- dutik

I'm wondering what your thoughts are about the poor, in my eyes, rendition of taped surfaces on the rudder and elevators Dutik? I sanded those prominent ridges down to almost nothingness!

DSCN6256_zpsb6d3b335.jpg

Max

Edited by mozart