1/32 Revell FW-190 F-8

JefH

Guest Peterpools

Terrific work... the big radial, front office and prop assembly look great.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Hi again.

Finally got the first camoflage colour down.  One or two spots still to touch up, but progress none the less.  I used Gunze H417 for the RLM 76. 

I think the shop towel's blue is throwing off the tint slightly as it has a slightly bluer shade to it to the naked eye.  Still trying the get the hang of this "black basing" technique, but so far I find it easier then the whole pre-shading thing.  I may mix up a little bit lighter RLM 76 mix and mottle it on top a bit.

42735611462_0cc6a1922f_c.jpg

27916306227_702837455e_c.jpg

42068121594_afda1bb20d_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Welcome aboard one eff Jef. Great work so far

You're a real person!  I tried to register JeffH as a user name and it said it was taken.  I assumed I had created the account and forgot about it somehow.  If you got a few emails about resetting your password from this site a couple months ago that was me.  Thank God I'm not going senile yet.

Jeff

Happy Fathers Day eve.  

I made out lucky a day early.  A new camera lens, a day out at the Motor Muster car show in Dearborn MI, fried cheese and some time in the spray booth.  My cup runneth over.

Got down the RLM 74/75 on the wings and the RLM 75/83 on the fuselage.  I have a few corrections to make and I need to mottle the tail, but it's a start.   I like Luftwaffe stuff occasionally because I find the paint jobs challenging in a satisfying way, but when things go south in spots because they're challenging I think "A P-47 would never do this to me.". 

I don't know if anyone is interested in the paints I used since I'm new to this build log stuff, but I always liked when others mention it so here it is.

I used Gunze paints

RLM74 - H68

RLM75 - H69

RLM83 - H423

42796573772_7d4192a8cb_b.jpg

42796573852_afc17e937f_b.jpg

Also I have a quick question.  Can anyone recommend how to paint gunmetal convincingly?  I've never had luck with it.

Cheers

Jeff

HI Jeff,

Some great painting results so far.  The MG 131 and MG 151 that the FW was fitted with were finished in black.  After time, the finish could be worn down showing a little more metal through the black.

What I've taken to doing is to paint them a satin black and then using metal pigments or light dry brushing with metallic shades to raise the details.

Here's a decent pic of the 131 in not-too-beat-up condition:

MG-131-a---700px.jpg

Gaz

Hi again.

I'm calling the base coat finished, unless there is something else I notice between now and the gloss coat.  

42023985945_b7dffe495a_b.jpg

29052758598_8c8929b0ee_b.jpg

29052757258_524352555d_b.jpg

28056147827_066f63ba17_b.jpg

In the meantime I will probably work on the landing gear and wheels and figure out if I want to add the bombs under wing, or leave it bare.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff