Hasegawa N1K2 George

LSP_K2

Some George goodies arrived today, so as soon as practicable, I can begin spritzing some paint on this baby.

i8D0nO.jpg

I really should pay more attention; I just discovered that the Montex set contains a complete inside and outside canopy mask set, making the Eduard set just a bit redundant. :blush:

Have you decided on what kind of paint you will use for the exterior? I ask because Junpei Temma recently finished a 48th scale P-40B on Hyperscale and he uses Mr Color almost exclusively. I think it would be a good brand to use in order to get that smooth semi glossy finish late war IJN fighters seemed to have.

Just a thought...

-d-

Have you decided on what kind of paint you will use for the exterior? I ask because Junpei Temma recently finished a 48th scale P-40B on Hyperscale and he uses Mr Color almost exclusively. I think it would be a good brand to use in order to get that smooth semi glossy finish late war IJN fighters seemed to have.

Just a thought...

-d-

I'll more that likely be using Tamiya XF-11, with some white, black, yellow and blue mixed in to vary it up a bit. I'll probably also go for a more or less dead flat finish, as that's really what I prefer.

Kevin,

I've actually been working the same kit and scheme as you but as I'm pretty much an "OOB, get it together" guy I already finished. I was doing it for the PTO campaign at armorama.com, so a dead line also forced the issue. But haven't posted any pics since then as there was a reaction when I applied a matte coat to finalize it, and so I will have to strip it and repaint. Forgot I used a different coat on the Tony I did earlier, and it apparently did not hold as high a regard for my base paint as the other coat did. The green went a little wrinkly in spots, and the metallic areas look like something corrosive splashed on actual aluminum; it's kind of a neat effect but it's obviously a damaged paint job when you look close. I guess that beats your square ejector pin holes, eh?

Anyhow, since I was using the kit decals -- which will die with the paint -- this gives me a chance to try a different scheme so we don't get a clone air force all up in here. Too many schemes to choose to have us both do the same one.

Oh, and in reference to the masks: I forgot I had a set of the cockpit masks and did it all by hand. But I'm still loving this kit, and will probably get another at some point.

Edited by CATCplSlade

That's a real shame, CAT. And yes, the kit is awfully darned good. Thinking about it, it's rather odd, that despite owning several Tamiya aircraft models, I've never actually built one,... ever, but this Hasegawa kit just drops together.

Fuel tank gets a base coat of what I see as a more or less appropriate gray (Tamiya XF-20). After painting, I noticed that I'd never entirely eliminated the gaps around the stabilizer inserts, so on with the surfacer. I've been summarily booted off of J-aircraft.com, so can't really ask for confirmation there, of the specific color used for this.

n4NLzn.jpg

Huh ?  Was it something you said ?

Apparently, sometime since I joined a year ago or so, they've decided not to allow members with a Gmail account. Since Gmail is all I have, I can't re-register either, nor can I contact the system admin there, as I need to be logged on to do that. 

Cowl touched up with the black lacquer, and looks much better, with the gouges and scrapes now gone. Tomorrow it gets the Alclad aluminum, then the green. I'm a happy guy!

yMLD0k.jpg

Tail wheel strut now shot with MM oiled steel (I have no idea why it appears so "grainy", but looks fine in person), and tire painted with a very dark grey. Again, clear coat will undoubtedly help, as will a nice wash. I also globbed some CA around the upper portion of the strut (not visible on finished model), as this is a particularly weak point in the assembly.

DzC9V1.jpg