Fire for effect 1945

JRutman

I think you've got it nailed down Jerry, I can almost hear them yelling at eachother---just can't understand a word they're saying.

What kind of arty piece is that? it's different than ours I guess cause I would expect that 3rd guy to be holding a bag charge instead of a caseing. Tell us a little something about that howitzer please.

BTW, any idea where I can get a 1/24 Thunderbolt?

Fred

I don't have any leads on getting a 1/24 T'bolt,sorry. I once saw something like a thunderbolt in 1/24 but it involved a lot of baked beans and then a ciggarette lighter?

The arty is a WWII German 105mm gun. The standard indirect fire weapon for the Germans during the war. The GI's always called all "incoming" fire 88's but this was the real deal. The bag charge was in the brass case.

Thanks for looking in dude,

J

Most excellent work on those figures Jerry, they are lovely and very lifefull I think.

Having been doing some myself a while back, I love to see how people work figures out and you obviously master that task.

Can I please ask what tool you use to run the "fine sanding" (or should I say diet) operation? I think I understand you use a Dremell for the first run and get most plastic off but then (the Dremell sound too agressive to me for the fine work)?

Thanks and keep it up!

Cheers,

Loic

Thanks for the compliment man! I use a dremel but with all kinds of different bits. You can get some pretty small ball headed bits. I also use sanding sticks and a lot of work with a #11 exacto blade.

J

Hey Jerry,I always admire your imagination and talent.

sometime too lazy to tell you.

But,please take it as a given,you inspire me.............cheers..ernie :beer:

Thanks Ernie,

I like to look at as many builds on here as I can but I don't have the time to post comments on all of them. It would take all day. So I can relate to what you say. I would never get anything done and be on the computor all day,

J

This is really cool. What is the time period? The guys have pretty pale skin, as if they have finally stripped off their shirts after a long winter (though perhaps they get a "tan" later in the process ;-)

Mark

This is really cool. What is the time period? The guys have pretty pale skin, as if they have finally stripped off their shirts after a long winter (though perhaps they get a "tan" later in the process ;-)

Mark

They look like pale skins because they are only painted with a base coat of light flesh. I only do that to see how they are progressing in the carving phase. The time frame is actually summer of 1944,my threads' title is miss-leading in that respect.

I got this idea from a German language book called"Scorched Earth" about the common soldier on the eastern front. The companion picture book has a pic that shows a gun crew during the fight against the russian offensive"Bagration" that took place during our invasion of Normandy. This offensive wiped out German army group middle and the caption on the pic says something like"where are the parade ground uniforms now? Now it's only a man and his weapons".

I liked the pic because the soldiers could be in any army they were so out of uniform,obviously rushing to the gun to punch out a "final protective fire" mission to save the grunts in the trenches.

As a former soldier I always have a heart for the regular front line grunts. We do all the work and all the dying and it's the same in every army in any country or time period. Theirs' is not to reason why!

J

Thanks for the compliment man! I use a dremel but with all kinds of different bits. You can get some pretty small ball headed bits. I also use sanding sticks and a lot of work with a #11 exacto blade.

J

Wow,

pretty impressive Jerry!

Thanks a lot,

Loic

Hi Jerry,

Finally got a chance to look around LSP some more. Seeing you knit your P-51 together over at the SIG (and here of course) has been a joy, but to see this work here really impresses me more. The deft modifications/sculpting of the figures with the candid posing all combined to tell the tale very convincingly. I sense the Russians advancing on those poor guys...

Thanks for the kind remarks boys!! Glad that you still lookin.

Added the last character. Needed an NCO to run things here and he will be "almost" in uniform. Got his main componants done and have started his field phone. Most commo in the whermacht was telephone or runner. Radios were used but not a lot so the FO or battery control would be by phone(unless that was cut by enemy arty) This fig was started from the new Dragon Panzergrenadier in italy set which is wonderful,very high tech.

cannon4002.jpg

Jerry,

From left to right, the 5th soldier who is kneeling and being yelled at by the guy holding the projectile---what is the object he is holding?

Fred

That is part of a wooden frame that the shells were shipped in. The rest will be aded later as all of these guys are in the initial stages.

J