How Long? : Tamiya Enamel

Gazzas

Hi Everyone,

Just airbrushed on some Tamiya enamel over Tamiya white primer which has long since dried.  How long do I need to let it set before I dare mask over it?

Just an observation:  That stuff dries to the touch really fast.

Gaz

I wait 24 hours for things to dry and have had zero problems.  I use Tamiya masking tape. If I think there is going to be an issue I use some Pledge, highly diluted with Tamiya thinner, very lightly as to not add any or too much gloss to the target.  Its my theory that the pledge hardens the paint a bit and allows tape to go on better and be removed with less hassle.   

Maybe someone has tried a tighter time frame but I am too much of a coward to mask any sooner.

Edited by SapperSix

Sorry I can't help as I haven't tried them. Out of interest though how did you find they spayed?

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I was using matte colors, thinned with hardware store Turpentine.  They definitely need thinning to be sprayed, and they dry hyper-fast.  So it's easy for them to get pebbly.   Under those conditions, I won't want to be too far away from the surface of the model. 

I used them for brushing a month or so ago, and they were great for small things.  But just like their acrylics, they don't like to be touched with a brush a second time.

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Gaz

Never knew Tamiya had a line of enamels besides their acrylics and lacquers.

Could you post a few pics of the bottles.

Much appreciated

Peter

Gaz

Never knew Tamiya had a line of enamels besides their acrylics and lacquers.

Could you post a few pics of the bottles.

Much appreciated

Peter

tamiya-enamel-paint.png?t=1461804869

tamiya-enamel-paint-xf-22-rlm-grey-10ml-

Just like the old Testors bottles from the 70's but with a plastic cap.   I just bought the basic colors for hand painting but have mixed em to get different colors.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Gaz

Haven't seen them in thev states yet but I'll keep an eye out as I still

use enamels for a few specific tasks.

Peter

This is what the "new"  Lacq . jars look like...same size as the Acryl.  just arrived in Canada.  havent seenm the small square enamel bottles at all.

Tried the white already,thinned with Lacq.thinner....wonderful paint..as good as MRP.

xS7WUE.jpg

Edited by williamj

The enamels have been out more than 10 years. They're just not imported into the states. I had to have mine smuggled in as I live in California. They have a nice tanium color that I use

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Tim,

I was using matte colors, thinned with hardware store Turpentine.  They definitely need thinning to be sprayed, and they dry hyper-fast.  So it's easy for them to get pebbly.   Under those conditions, I won't want to be too far away from the surface of the model. 

I used them for brushing a month or so ago, and they were great for small things.  But just like their acrylics, they don't like to be touched with a brush a second time.

Gaz

In my experience with matt enamels, you should be able to handle and brush touch-up the model after overnight.

Now having said that I use regular paint thinner instead of turpentine, which as I understand takes longer to dry, which could account for your accelerated dry time and the rougher finsish.

The enamels have been out more than 10 years. They're just not imported into the states. I had to have mine smuggled in as I live in California. They have a nice tanium color that I use

Sounds like the work of some lobbyists working for Testors.