#16 Erick Swanberg

Erick Swanberg

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:09 AM

Care to elaborate?

Well i have been flying the Blackhawk for over 20 years and although he is an amazing scratchbuilder, some of the parts and panels are not correct.  He has a good overall idea of the helo but some things are just fiction.  It looks awesome and he does excellent work, however wrong is wrong.

• Youngtiger1 and GMK like this

#17 Dave Roof

Dave Roof

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:30 AM

Sorry to have to agree, but I think an objective look at almost any KH kit will confirm that the designer really isn't that knowledgeable about aircraft, nor a particularly clever kit design engineer.  There are a few of his kits that are pretty good, but the majority are overly fussy to construct, and they've done some *major* boob jobs due to a lack of very basic research and understanding of how aircraft are constructed and how they work (like curved piano hinges, for example).

I hope the SH-60 will be a shining exception, but the proof will be in the pudding.

Just for clarification, the prior comments were referring to Oliver and his building style.

#18 Maxim

Maxim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

I would have to agree with Jennings . I do hope they put the effort into the Seahawk though I would much prefer a Seaking but I'll take what I can get.

sh-3h_148999.jpg

#19 Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:23 AM

I am proofing the CAD for the Seahawks now along with about five other people.  I take the suggestions that their research is bad or flawed.  I take a lot of time and employ a lot of subject matter experts on these helicopter kits.  Army guys are helping with the Army stuff.  Air Force guys with the Air Force and Navy guys on the Seahawks.  We are doing our best to find and correct any errors we see on the CAD.  If you have an issue with the research phase of the Hawks, blame me.  I am the point of contact for Kitty Hawk when it comes to helicopters.  Any inaccuracies, I take full responsibility for.  They draw it, we correct it until its released.  Do we catch everything?  No but we certainly do try.  Me and my team take this job very seriously as we want the most accurate helicopter kits on the market period. 

I'd say Kitty Hawk's helicopters are some of the best on the market.  Each one is getting better.  You may not agree but they are the most accurate ones on the market right now. 

Floyd

• Iain (32SIG), phantom, Kagemusha and 7 others like this

#20 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 41,158 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:48 AM

Just for clarification, the prior comments were referring to Oliver and his building style.

I was confused about that, too.

Kev

#21 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

I will be the naysayer her to counteract you naysayers.

Glen at
Kitty Hawk has brought in probably the single most knowledgable person as far as modern American military helicopters go in Floyd Werner of Werner's Wings.
Floyd lives, breathes, and works with helicopters, and has done so his entire adult life, first as a decorated Marine Cobra pilot, and now as a helicopter pilot for the Baltimore Police.
He's also a world class modeler.
He knows his stuff and he's helping bring greatness to Kitty Hawk's helicopters.

Also, Kitty Hawk's latest releases have been decent.
OS2U, F-86D/K, T-28B,C,D, OH-58, and the new Su-35, all are bloody decent.
  • phantom, Harold, Martinnfb and 1 other like this
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#22 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

Oh heck, just saw Floyd's post, after I did mine. Oops
  • Martinnfb and LSP_Typhoonattack like this
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#23 GMK

GMK

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:32 AM

As was I. Haven’t bought a KH kit since the 1/48 F-35B - seemed solid. Don’t have an opinion on KH helos, other than I’m glad that they’re making them.

#24 Hawkwrench

Hawkwrench

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

Glen at
Kitty Hawk has brought in probably the single most knowledgable person as far as modern American military helicopters go in Floyd Werner of Werner's Wings.
Floyd lives, breathes, and works with helicopters, and has done so his entire adult life, first as a decorated Marine Cobra pilot, and now as a helicopter pilot for the Baltimore Police.
He knows his stuff and he's helping bring greatness to Kitty Hawk's helicopters.

Haha! You called Floyd a Marine. You're in trouble now!!!! (He was Army)

Tim
  • KAGNEW, Martinnfb and Vandy 1 VX 4 like this
Clear up Right!
Tim

#25 Dave Roof

Dave Roof

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

I am proofing the CAD for the Seahawks now along with about five other people.  I take the suggestions that their research is bad or flawed.  I take a lot of time and employ a lot of subject matter experts on these helicopter kits.  Army guys are helping with the Army stuff.  Air Force guys with the Air Force and Navy guys on the Seahawks.  We are doing our best to find and correct any errors we see on the CAD.  If you have an issue with the research phase of the Hawks, blame me.  I am the point of contact for Kitty Hawk when it comes to helicopters.  Any inaccuracies, I take full responsibility for.  They draw it, we correct it until its released.  Do we catch everything?  No but we certainly do try.  Me and my team take this job very seriously as we want the most accurate helicopter kits on the market period. 

I'd say Kitty Hawk's helicopters are some of the best on the market.  Each one is getting better.  You may not agree but they are the most accurate ones on the market right now. 

Floyd

Personally speaking, I have never doubted the quality of the research or questioned the people behind it. It's the execution by KH that continues to be their problem. As I mentioned on ARC in a similar thread, other manufacturers have continually improved upon each release. For whatever reason(s), KH continues to make the same basic mistakes with each subsequent release. Knowing who's behind the research and how much is put into it, it's disappointing to continually have the "WTF were they thinking" thought when the kits are actually released.

#26 Dave Roof

Dave Roof

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Glen at

Floyd is Army and KH has never released an OH-58. I'll refrain from commenting on another slightly incorrect sentence in there as the written sarcasm, friendly rib poking won't be taken as it's intended. :) :)

• Martinnfb likes this

#27 Juggernut

Juggernut

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

Well i have been flying the Blackhawk for over 20 years and although he is an amazing scratchbuilder, some of the parts and panels are not correct.  He has a good overall idea of the helo but some things are just fiction.  It looks awesome and he does excellent work, however wrong is wrong.

For us, the unwashed, can you be a little more specific? I worked the FMS Modification line at Sikorsky on S-70's (UH-60M's) and I've crawled all over and through those (Robbie tanks, hoist, FLIR, radar, mini-gun door gunner window mod) but they're not the MH(HH)-60G.
  • Martinnfb likes this

"You can always tell a pilot.... But you can't tell him much." Pat Malara Sr. (1925 - 1997) USAAC CBI, Owner/Founder, Riverside School of Aeronautics

#28 Dave Roof

Dave Roof

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

For us, the unwashed, can you be a little more specific?

Simply put, Oliver uses artistic license in some of his scratch built parts. This is his preferred and unique building style, which in itself isn't wrong. His scratchbuilding and painting techniques are phenomenal and that is without question. However, the parts he creates should not always be used as a reference for others to replicate as some of it is 'made up'.

• GMK, Martinnfb and Vandy 1 VX 4 like this

#29 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,814 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Who is this Oliver you guys keep referring to? Is he a member here?

• Martinnfb likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#30 Dave Roof

Dave Roof

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

Who is this Oliver you guys keep referring to? Is he a member here?

Yep........

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=52716

• Martinnfb likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users