Revell Spitfire Mk.Ia and Mk.IIa Joint build - FINISHED

Shoggz

A quick progress report.

It feels like I've spent hours this weekend and not achieved a great deal!

..which is probably because I'm using resin add-on pieces for the first time and PE augmentation for the 2nd or 3rd time and I'm feeling my way carefully.

Here's what the build looks like now

1E9BD9B8-F7FA-473B-A1E9-80C96750E324_zps

As you can see, I am mixing the Barracuda cockpit upgrade pack with the Eduard PE set for the kit. I'm still not used to the 'brittleness' of the resin parts and have had to make three of four impromptu repairs with CA glue to various levers and protuberances etc.

All a learning curve!

I now need to paint all the details and get a bit more weathering done..

..which will prompt another dilemma - dry-brush or wash.. (or both?)

It's all coming along very nicely Shoggz, quite a learning curve you're on there.....enough to try your patience! Interesting to notice the subtle differences between the IPs: one that I can see is both the oil pressure and temperature gauges being outlined in red on one but the oil pressure being in yellow on the other, which is certainly the case on the Tiger Moths.

Max

Progress continues - slowly as is my way!

Building two aircraft simultaneously affords the opportunity to try different things on each one..

So.. the seats - I'm using the Barracdua resin seat for one and the CMK Master Kits for the other.

The beauty of the latter is that it has seat belts nicely moulded on so I don't have to struggle with fabric or PE ones!

I had a lot of fun painting the belts using Tamiya Deck Tan XF-55.. I'm definitely more of an artist than an engineer, so painting and finishing are things I think I'm better at than the actual building, but I digress!

Here are both seats:

32C35638-C787-4611-B2C5-1F1542BF5AAC_zps

I used Tamiya's matt earth XF-52 for both seats.. It's about the third different colour I've tried for Spitfire seats and I'm yet to find one that I'm 100% satisfied with.... :hmmm:

For the black seat back I used Tamiya rubber black XF-85 and I'm really pleased with that!

The rest of the cockpit components are pretty much finished too..

A1635BA7-BF0E-4806-88AC-960D3419E670_zps

The cockpit sides need a bit more work on the weathering before the big moment of pulling the two halves together can occur.

As I'm building one as a WWII machine and one as a restored modern warbird, I get to tackle both types of weathering - another interesting twist for a dual build

That's a good question Max! Up till today I'd just been doing everything the same twice, but from now I'm going to be doing two builds more separately.. So I guess I'll have to physically separate everything into two 'piles'.

I shall probably fail miserably....

Neat work Shoggz. You're making great progress.

The colour of the seat can differ quite a bit in real life too so it should n't be a concern.

I don't think I've seen a tan head rest pad before. Pretty much all of the ones I've seen are black so that's an interesting twist.

Keep up the good work. They're coming together nicely.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a couple of hours in last night which included the big moment and one that I dread:

Zipping up the fuselage halves!

How come is it that no matter how many times I dry-fit and all is 'glove-like', when it comes to the crunch and that glue is applied it seems to morph into two halves of different aircraft!

Anyway, with copious amounts of Tamiya tape I managed to get two complete airframes by the end of the evening. :)

2C7928B5-FABD-4A22-9881-2205A410EF26_zps

Next up: wings and tailplanes..

Edited by Shoggz

My pessimism was unfounded (for once.)

The wings went on both really well - certainly in comparison to other Spitfires I've assembled.

380D72AC-F32A-4142-AD51-205E011D4001_zps

I've been working on cleaning up my AM wheels as the glue dries. One set from Eduard's Brassin range, and one from Barracuda. I'm liking both I have to say.

They both knock spots off the kit versions which are a bit squiffy to be honest.

So far this has been a fun build. :thumbsup: