FINISHED: Spitfire IIa, P7834 RY:F, 313 (Czechoslovak) Sqn, 1941

MikeC

You may recall I said I wanted to finish another model before I started this: well it's a long story, but after a few problems that model is now languishing on the shelf of doom.  There was also the fact that I was keen to get started on this one.

The kit is another Revell IIa, and I'm using the MDC correction set, Eduard wheels, MDC harness, and some generic codes to produce a later Mk IIa of no 313 (Czechoslovak) Sqn, RAF Portreath, where the Squadron was based between August and November 1941.  The particular aircraft was flown by Fg Off (later Lt Gen) Frantisek Fajtl. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1531002/Major-General-Frantisek-Fajtl.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franti%C5%A1ek_Fajtl

The aircraft only joined 313 Sqn on 2 October 1941 following what seem to have been major repairs at AST (http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p005.html)

I chose this subject because I have considerable interest in the Czechoslovak, Czech and Slovak air arms, and it's a IIa just after colours changed from Dark Earth and Green over Sky to Ocean Grey and Green over Medium Sea Grey.  The aircraft was fresh out of repair, so it seems likely she was in the new scheme.  This also means that I'll be keeping weathering to a minimum, in keeping with the circumstances.

So on with the show.  There's not much to see at the moment, but as a "teaser" here are the sprue shots, which show where I've got to: a little bit of a start made on correcting the fuselage contours, otherwise unstarted.  I submit that's less than 25% started.  My apolgies for the over-exposed shot.

IMG_4879_zpsmknesx6j.jpg

The aftermarket:

IMG_4874_zpsohjesw3p.jpg

And finally, the rest of the aftermarket showing how I deal with Revell end-opening boxes - tape the ends up and cut the top off.

IMG_4884_zpsiwvmb6fq.jpg

Thanks for looking, hopefully I'll have some progress to show later this week.

Edited by MikeC

Thank you for choosing Fajtl's plane Mike. He is a legend and his life and carrer somewhat resembles endeavours of my own family members. He was a very special man.

I will follow your build with interest.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for the interest Gents.  I've made a little progress in assembling a few bits, hoping to do some preliminary painting and take some photos later today.

Good to see another Revell IIa in the GB Mike, I'm enjoying my build and, I'm sure you will too.....no major vices or issues that I've come across yet though we know the accuracy is questionable in places. What's your take going to be about the rivets?

Max

Good to see another Revell IIa in the GB Mike, I'm enjoying my build and, I'm sure you will too.....no major vices or issues that I've come across yet though we know the accuracy is questionable in places. What's your take going to be about the rivets?

Max

Glad you're enjoying it Max, as am I - so far.

Re the rivets, I'm thinking of using a technique I saw on here - by Iain in his build iirc - of filling with Tamiya paint and sanding to reduce them.  Some have already been reduced in the reshaping of course.  Probably won't replace them, I'm more interested in getting the painting and markings right tbh, and I'm aiming for a slightly-less-than-pristine-but-still-very-new finish, as befits an aircraft that's flown perhaps two or three operational sorties since it was delivered. 

Yes I liked Iain's technique too, though so far I've filled mine with Mr Dissolved Putty then sanded back, same result I guess but different choice of weapons! Filthy day again today so more time for modelling! :)

Max

Great choice, I really enjoyed my build of this kit, a badly slated new tool 1/32 Spitfire Mk II for £20.00 which for me was a great canvass to begin with.

Looking forward to your progress.

Regards. andy

A bit of progess to show at last.

I've been reading about "black basing" (see http://doogsmodels.com/)and thought I'd give it a try.  The idea is to give a little depth by varying the opacity of tthe topcoat.  So counter-intuitively, the interior got a coat of Tamiya black.

IMG_4885_zps53aimppd.jpg

IMG_4888_zps7mm5cy0v.jpg

IMG_4889_zps3j1569p9.jpg

Yes, it rather absorbs the light, doesn't it?

Masked off the instrument panel and sprayed the interior green, then masked the green and shot some aluminium.

IMG_4901_zpswqbo1jhh.jpg

IMG_4902_zpshp4q8jsi.jpg

IMG_4903_zpsmjtublnq.jpg

IMG_4904_zpsy3vw1hiu.jpg

I think I need some more practice with this black basing lark, but I'm quite pleased so far.

Today's task is detail painting, and perhaps a bit of work on the 1:48 Seafire 47 I've got running in parallel.

Thanks for looking, comments and constructive crits welcome.

Slight pause at the moment.

Firstly, I took a look at the instrument panel on the decal sheet, which could look reasonably passable, even if I didn't recognise anything apart from the gyro compass.  However, I thought this deserved better, so I'm now waiting for a set of Airscale RAF instrument decals.

Second, and only on topic in so far as it's held up progress on the Spit, MrsC and I finally went to see the new Star Wars yesterday. :thumbsup:

Hope you and the missus enjoyed the film Mike.

As for black basing, Warhammer modellers have been doing that for years. You should see the way the detail on a miniature pops under a black primer coat. Definitely a technique worth dabbling with.

Your cockpit looks good on my monitor.

Keep at it.

Cheers.

Well the Airscale decals arrived from "Big H", and I must confess to a slight moment of panic.  The dials looked far too big for 1:32 scale :o   Then I realised I was looking at the image on the instructions, the decals were tucked away inside the folded sheet and were the size I'd expected.  :oops:

In the meantime, this week I have been mainly painting props.  Not just the prop for this kit, but I've got an Airfix 1:48 Seafire 47 on the go as well (Barracuda replacement prop blades), and there was an unstarted Tamiya 1:48 Mosquito hanging around the man-cave so I thought I might as well do that while I'd got the yellow and the black in the airbrush.

Props01-yellow-masked_zpsqskjv5uq.jpg

Props02-black-stillmasked_zpsiy3wpz9f.jp

Props03-Done_zpssuacahzc.jpg

More to come soon I hope.

Oh, and yes, we did enjoy the film thanks.  :thumbsup: