1/32 Revell FW-190 F-8

JefH

Hello again.  

Absolutely buried in work due to the tax deadline at the end of the month, but was able to steal away a little time to work on the cockpit of the 190.

40779340165_35ea88e3b0_c.jpg

41669002091_080a35bef5_c.jpg

The Kraftstoff placard was the only one that approximately matched the shape and size of a reference photo I had.  I thought no one will be able to make out what it says.  Turns out I was wrong on that count.

41669001161_f1e13ccdf7_c.jpg

I used some 1/48 decals for the gauges and 1/32 placards both by airscale.  I don't know if the instrument panel is under sized or the airscale IP gauges are too large but the 1/32 versions would not fit.  I've still got to weather it, but at least it's a start and proof I haven't ditched this build yet.

The control stick in my kit was broken when I went to assemble, so I took this one from a old BF109 kit I junked.  The boot is the wrong shape, but after the seat is installed I don't think it'll be that noticeable.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Edited by JefH

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. 

I was able to survive April and find a couple nights at the bench.  I'm calling the interior done and moving on to getting the major assemblies finished.  The belts are from HGW.  I've had mixed results with them in the past which I'm sure was my fault, but I'm pleased with how they turned out this time.

27007797327_7219c80027_c.jpg

28006563688_738735e217_c.jpg

41158791344_6f3449d564_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a month since I've posted.  My roof decided to spring a leak, so bench time has been tied up in a massive 1:1 project.  

I was finally able to get the major assemblies finished and hit it with some primer.  Kit went together ok, but the cowl was little bit of a fight.  I'm hoping to get some paint down this week and keep moving forward on the project.    

41616302795_b3e60434a4_c.jpg

Hopefully more consistent updates to follow.

Cheers.

Jeff

Wow, it's been a month since I've posted.  My roof decided to spring a leak, so bench time has been tied up in a massive 1:1 project.  

I was finally able to get the major assemblies finished and hit it with some primer.  Kit went together ok, but the cowl was little bit of a fight.  I'm hoping to get some paint down this week and keep moving forward on the project.    

Cheers.

Jeff

Understatement of the Century there. Probably my fault, but I fought mine until I finally just gave up, as this model was completely sucking all the joy out of my life. It appears that you're having much better success than I, and I hope you continue to do so.

Understatement of the Century there. Probably my fault, but I fought mine until I finally just gave up, as this model was completely sucking all the joy out of my life. It appears that you're having much better success than I, and I hope you continue to do so.

Mine went together with just a teeny bit of filler around the leading edge wing roots, where they meet the fuselage.

The key, I think, is following the instruction sequence to the letter.

Mine went together with just a teeny bit of filler around the leading edge wing roots, where they meet the fuselage.

The key, I think, is following the instruction sequence to the letter.

I agree about the sequence, and I deviated from that, plus I tried to do too many panels at once. I suspect I'll eventually grab another kit, rip the guts out of the first one ('pit and engine), and use them in the new kit.

Understatement of the Century there. Probably my fault, but I fought mine until I finally just gave up, as this model was completely sucking all the joy out of my life. It appears that you're having much better success than I, and I hope you continue to do

Understatement of the century isn't far from the truth.  Assembling the cockpit, engine and airframe I was seriously thinking of picking up the A8 version because I was enjoying the build so much.  But once I started wrestling with the cowl I nearly shelved it for another project.  It was admittedly a PITA.

Jeff

Welcome aboard Jeff.  Your pit looks very nice and the HGW seatbelts look outstanding.  I only use either HGW or Radu's seatbelts on 1/32 builds as I think they look much better than PE ones.  I am considering getting this kit, and it looks like the cowl can be an issue based on the comments in this thread.  You seem to have gotten it to fit just fine though.

Ernest

Hello again.  Hopefully this is my last set of cellphone photos.  I should be getting my SLR back soon.  

Managed to get some yellow down on the band, wingtips and cowl before working on some smaller projects while it dried.  

40913101390_a1d7b29ff1_c.jpg

Decided to build the SC50 bombs.  I'm not sure if I want to use them at this point, but if I don't that can be used at a later date.  Decided to add some cast texture with Mr. Surfacer 500, it's probably a little overdone.  I'm too used to sherman turrets.  Amazingly for a Luftwaffe subject there is some contention about colours!  I read somewhere that around '44 some were painted in a colour close to sandgelb and I went with that.  Weathering hasn't begun, but at least it's a start.

42648152592_b1d8703d4c_n.jpg41797693345_dfdc37a8be_n.jpg42723396031_8829db8436_n.jpg

I also finished up the basic painting on the propeller and spinner.  

28849947118_1efec85ae0_z.jpg

And a quick shot of it in position.

27854829417_a1d72116e7_c.jpg

Hopefully I can keep building on this momentum and get a little further along in the build.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Edited by JefH