• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:26 AM

In my experience with matt enamels, you should be able to handle and brush touch-up the model after overnight.

Now having said that I use regular paint thinner instead of turpentine, which as I understand takes longer to dry, which could account for your accelerated dry time and the rougher finsish.

Generally, I hate buying proprietary thinners.  But I might have to in this case. 

• Gigant likes this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#17 Gigant

Gigant

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:31 AM

Generally, I hate buying proprietary thinners.  But I might have to in this case. 

Considering the time and expense you have invested thus far, I would think it would be more then worth your trouble.

• Gazzas likes this

:innocent: Tom

My photo album: https://www.flickr.c...1984@N04/albums

#18 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

I tend to use the thinner of the paint brand I am using as well.  That does mean I have multiple thinners (Four at count - Model Master Metalizer, Model Master Acryl, Tamiya Acrylic and Vallejo Acrylic) but the results seem to me to be better that way.

I paint over the Vallejo primer almost immediately, and then mask within about 12 hours using de-tacked Tamiya tape.  If I can wait 24 hours so much the better.

I have not seen the Tamiya Enamels in the US either - seems they are not carried by the stores here.  But I tend not to use enamels due to the smell.

FWIW.  But it is tempting to look at the MRP, Mr Color Paints that are out...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users