HK Early B-17G?

Uncarina

Now that HK Models has produced the B-17 E,F, and late G, is there any indication that they will combine sprues to make an early G? I would like to model Little Miss Mischief without buying the two existing kits!

Thanks, Tom

You can take the E/F kit and turn it into an early G if you use some of the sprues from the HK Late B-17G kit.  There are four separate sprues you'll need to source to  be able to do it.  You'll need sprues G, K, L, and N from the HK B-17G kit to make the E/F into an early G.  You won't use all the parts on those sprues but all the parts you'll need will be on those four sprues.  The sprues include the nose fuselage halves and interior thereof, the upper turret parts, the clear parts and some other parts unique to the G.  Unless you're willing to do fuselage surgery to the HK B-17G kit and change out sprues from the E/F kit (I have not researched what sprues you'd need to do this), that's the easiest way to get an early G.  You'll still have to scratchbuild the 3-pane waist windows for some early G's but that's not too hard.  Maybe some entrepeneuring spirit could produce a set albeit it might be cost prohibitive based on the anticipated market for such a set.

HK could swap out or include those four sprues and release an early G (if they've not been destroyed to create the E/F kit).  I think they have designed the tooling so that they could open gates and mold the proper parts for an early G and close off gates for the E/F based on what I observed on my E/F sprues.  Decals and instructions would most likely be the constraining factor in the release of an early G but not nearly as long as it has taken HK to bring the Lancaster (or the B-17E/F for that matter) to market.  I'd buy at least one.

Whoops, forgot to mention you'll need to also fill the vents in the wing tips to get to the early G.   They're in the E/F kit too...why I have no idea.

Edited by Juggernut

You can take the E/F kit and turn it into an early G if you use some of the sprues from the HK Late B-17G kit.  There are four separate sprues you'll need to source to  be able to do it.  You'll need sprues G, K, L, and N from the HK B-17G kit to make the E/F into an early G.  You won't use all the parts on those sprues but all the parts you'll need will be on those four sprues.  The sprues include the nose fuselage halves and interior thereof, the upper turret parts, the clear parts and some other parts unique to the G.  Unless you're willing to do fuselage surgery to the HK B-17G kit and change out sprues from the E/F kit (I have not researched what sprues you'd need to do this), that's the easiest way to get an early G.  You'll still have to scratchbuild the 3-pane waist windows for some early G's but that's not too hard.  Maybe some entrepeneuring spirit could produce a set albeit it might be cost prohibitive based on the anticipated market for such a set.

HK could swap out or include those four sprues and release an early G (if they've not been destroyed to create the E/F kit).  I think they have designed the tooling so that they could open gates and mold the proper parts for an early G and close off gates for the E/F based on what I observed on my E/F sprues.  Decals and instructions would most likely be the constraining factor in the release of an early G but not nearly as long as it has taken HK to bring the Lancaster (or the B-17E/F for that matter) to market.  I'd buy at least one.

Whoops, forgot to mention you'll need to also fill the vents in the wing tips to get to the early G.   They're in the E/F kit too...why I have no idea.

Thank you! This is great info.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks very much to Juggernut's advice. If I was able to get these individual sprues I would be home free. However, unless HK Models sells the sprues it looks like I will need to modify the tail turret of the G kit, fill the wing tip vents, and unstagger the waist windows. Fortunately the clear parts of the tail turret appear to be flat planes so I might be able to pull this off without having to buy both kits!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Smitty,

Indeed, but carefully selected to avoid those needed for conversions. For example, port fuselage halves without the starboard for sale, no sprues containing nose or tail turret pieces, etc..

Cheers, Tom