Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, VF-211, No update, just responding to q's

geedubelyer

• 1 year later...

Apologies, I've only just come across this build, shame on me.

All the guys before me have said everything I could but it needs to be reaffirmed, awesome build just awesome.

Ive a F-14D to build very soon so I've taken lots of notes on your path so far. I must say id cheat a bit and buy the Zacto intakes, they look good compared to the Trumpy ones.

Ian.

Hi guys, belated thanks for the kind words. I wish I'd spotted them sooner but know that they are appreciated.

Bump! Any progress on this one Guy? As you know I'm an enormous fan of this build ...

Cheers
Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the gentle nudge on this one. When the topic popped up I saw the start date,.......2009? Oh my! :blink: Where did that time go?

In answer to your question I'm sorry to tell you that I have n't touched her since the last update. She's not dead, just dormant for now.

If I'd realised just how large an undertaking this was going to be I might not have started but I've come too far to let it go now. The thing with this bird is, she takes a huge amount of time and concentration. Recent projects have been much simpler (and possibly, dare I say it?) more enjoyable...

It's difficult to deny the satisfaction of seeing a finished model sitting on the shelf so tackling these complex sub-assembies becomes less appealing. Add to that the fact that we're all a few years older now and some of our eyesight and manual dexterity is not as good as it was eight years ago. I may be making excuses but scratch building these teeny, tiny details is n't getting any easier.... :rolleyes:

With that said, I'll make you a promise. After I've built the ASK 21 for the "Keep it Civil" GB I'll do some more on the Big Turkey.

Believe it or not, I'd like to see her finished just as much as you guys :innocent:

Hi Shaka, my most recent builds might suggest otherwise but I got back into modelling by building a string of 1/32nd scale jets. If you do a search (should you be at all interested) you might find a couple of others. The warbirds are a bit of a pleasant distraction but in all honesty my heart still lies with the big kerosene burners.

Hi F's are my Faves, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. You and I have very differing modelling styles but I think what you do exceeds my skills by some margin. Keep at it.

Hi Peter and Steve, thanks for the gee-up. I'll do my best to bring you guys something before too long although I can't promise that the standard will be the same. I feel I'm a bit rusty when it comes to adding tiny bits of wire and hose to wheel bay interiors. Those warbirds usually only have one brake line on their gear legs. No wonder they're so popular :whistle: :DodgeBall: ;)

Hi Ian, good to have you along. If you're building a Trumpeter Tomcat and care anything about the way the model looks then the Zactomodel intakes are the minimum you'll need. From what I've seen it builds up into a delightful model with their addition plus there are a few things that are an improvement over this kit.

Now, if Tamiya ever brought out a new tool, 1/32nd scale, Grumman F-14A Tomcat to their current stellar accuracy standards, the question becomes, would I ditch this and start again or plough on and simply finish this one?  Would n't that be a nice dilemma to have? :wicked:

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer