Henschel Hs 129B-2: DONE!!! (Now with more pics!)

I've always liked the looks of the Hs 129, if for no other reason than the fact that it's downright ugly! However, sometimes it's the ugly ones that perform a specific role in a way that no other plane really can. This aircraft is certainly in that category, in my opinion. I think the 129 gets a bad rap from either the propaganda of history, the half truths about it's service, or a combination of the two. The fact of the matter, is that it's an aircraft that performed it's intended function with a very high degree of success. It had it's bad days, but I think any combat aircraft does and, aside from that, the pilots and crews that flew/serviced them seem to hold them in very high regard.

Here are some quick shots of some of the things I've collected for this build. Obviously, Jerry's kit is the first thing on the list. When Jerry first announced this kit, I was very excited. When it finally became available, I think I was one of the first people to place an order!

HenschelHs129B-2001.jpg

Collecting the proper references was next on the list. I think the Military Aircraft In Detail Henschel Hs 129 and Squadron's In Action were the first that I obtained. However, I knew from the decal sheet (great work, Radu!) that "Yellow 3" of Pz.Staffel/JG 51 was the one for me. The only problem, was that there are only two known photos of this aircraft, so far as I am aware, and they are both found in Classic's Hs 129 Panzerjager! by Martin Pegg. I have to thank our own Charles Metz for this information and sending me in the right direction. However, I soon found out that this book is not widely available and, when you can find it, may cost you a week's pay and a body part of some sort!blink.gif It was just by chance that I happened to get a copy from Dana Bell and for a very reasonable price (Thanks, Dana!) and the plus side was that it's even signed by Eddie Creek, who did work on, and provided photographs for, the book. :beer: I'm so happy that I got a copy of this book. It tells the REAL story of the Hs 129 like no other book has. It really put to rest a lot of the common myths and misunderstandings about this plane.

Now, being armed with all of this, I was surely ready to get started. However, I ran into a couple of big obstacles (for me, anyway). The first thing that I had to figure out, was how I was going to replicate the MK 101 cannon that "Yellow 3" was armed with, as the kit only provides the MK 103. The next possible issue was the engines. One of the most distinguishing features of the Hs 129 was it's Gnome Rhone 14M engines. Specifically, the front of the crank case and the push rods, which have a very unique shape and arrangement. However, the engines provided in the kit are a little more generic. This is something that I really struggled with. My first thought was just to leave them as they are, since you won't see much of them, anyway. However, I was fairly certain that I was going to give this plane "the full meal deal" to the extent that I would usually take such things, or even a little further (the correct cannon detail, rivets, screws, etc.). So, with that in mind, I decided to try to get the engine faces looking a little bit closer to the Gnome Rhone. This may take some work, but I've finally decided that I'm up to the task.

So, in addition to the references mentioned above, here are some of the other things that I've collected over this time, up to last week, that are going to (hopefully) help me make this one a good one:

HenschelHs129B-2002.jpg

I have some scribing templates and PE screw heads from Alliance Model Works, rivets and weld seams from Archer Fine Transfers (these things are cool!) and, for the MK 101 cannon, I've substituted a 1/48 scale KwK 40 L/48 for the Panzer IVH/J. Researching what barrel would work best really took a lot of time. I can't say that it's a perfect match for scale, as complete dimensions for the MK 101 are not really easy to find, but it's going to be darn close from the best figures I can come up with. The most important factor, to me, was the shape of the muzzle brake. This would make or "brake" the cannon! :hmmm: :innocent:

HenschelHs129B-2003.jpg

So far, the only work I've done was just a quick test run at making a muzzle brake extension, which would not be included with the barrel, of course. Photos and diagrams show several variations of this on the MK 101 and I chose what I thought to be the most likely pattern, grabbed some aluminum tubing, a micro bit and my pin vise and went to work. As it turns out, drilling a total of thirty holes in straight lines, into a tube that's only a few millimeters long, is harder than one would think! I'm sure I'll end up doing it over, probably even several times, but this will give you an idea of where I'm going...

HenschelHs129B-2004.jpg

This build will likely be slow to start. I have a few other things on my plate that really need to finished up. However, with the procurement of parts and materials for this build in the last week or so, I've become motivated to get something rolling, at least. There are still a few things I need to decide/solve, but I think the main components are in line. Thanks for reading and I apologize for such a long-winded post!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Wow, cool project John! I wish I could've afforded one of Jerry's kits when they were about. Where did you find the Alliance Model Works gear?

Kev

Kevin,

I got the templates and screw heads directly from them. http://www.am-works.com/store/index.php

You could probably find the same/similar templates for a few bucks cheaper, somewhere else. However, since they also had the screw heads that I was looking for, I just added the templates to the order, too.

The Archer rivets and welds I got directly from Archer, also. I also got some railroad nuts/bolts (lower left in first pic, but I forgot to mention them), from Micro-Mark, here: http://www.micromark.com/Building-Materials.html?page=2 In addition to those, I ordered a one pound bag of assorted metal scraps from them, as well. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but needed to try to build up an assortment of such things for scratchbuilding/detailing and thought I would take the chance. I'm glad I did. The bag of stuff has a wide arrangement of useful rod, tubes, box tubes, channel/angle metal and all in an assortment of brass, copper and aluminum. I won't have to worry about finding that kind of stuff for quite some time, if ever, now.

I should also mention that all of the companies that I mentioned above were great to deal with, had what I wanted in stock and shipped fast. Such businesses are getting harder to find, these days. :rolleyes: I would recommend them to anyone.

John

I can remember being a fan of this aeroplane long before I became obsessed with its Soviet counterpart, the IL-2 Shturmovik. Like the IL-2, I think the Hs-129 sometimes gets a bad "rap". It was an efficient anti-tank and ground support aircraft, but it was slow and needed fighter cover. Unfortunately for the Hs-129, as it was coming into service, the fortunes of war were turning in the East, and for the last two years of its service it had to face an increasingly strong Red Air Force. In that respect its career mirrors the Shturmovik's in reverse. I will be watching this build with great interest. I'm not sure which 'plane you're going to do, but I hope it's the one with the white mottle winter camouflage, "White K". Good luck with the build, John!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Wow, cool project John! I wish I could've afforded one of Jerry's kits when they were about. Where did you find the Alliance Model Works gear?

Kev

I just met the Turk that's behind Model Alliance a week back; he seems like a real nice guy.

So far, the only work I've done was just a quick test run at making a muzzle brake extension, which would not be included with the barrel, of course. Photos and diagrams show several variations of this on the MK 101 and I chose what I thought to be the most likely pattern, grabbed some aluminum tubing, a micro bit and my pin vise and went to work. As it turns out, drilling a total of thirty holes in straight lines, into a tube that's only a few millimeters long, is harder than one would think! I'm sure I'll end up doing it over, probably even several times, but this will give you an idea of where I'm going...

John

That's where a drill press would come in real handy. I've wanted one for years, but never seem to get around to buying one. I too like the Henschel, so I'll be eyeballing from time to time.

Thanks, guys.

That's where a drill press would come in real handy. I've wanted one for years, but never seem to get around to buying one. I too like the Henschel, so I'll be eyeballing from time to time.

I have a cheap little Dremel press, but I'm not sure if it's good enough for this kind of precision. I also have a full size press in my shop. However, I would have to get some type of an adapter for such a small bit. That's probably what I'll end up doing, because eyeballing it and even measuring and marking with tape, don't seem to be working! :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

John

Well,I know I will be following this build for sure. I have only seen one of these built,by a guy in Greece I think? I could be wrong(happens a lot,just ask my girlfriend). Have fun!!

BTW,why don't you contact Schmidt Modelbau? He has the brass 75mm gun with an awesome muzzle break made just for this kit? I think that I also still have the gun fairing mold around here some where?

I would of course,be happy to sell the masters for this kit. I only say this because some one else posted it already.

J

Jerry,

Thanks for popping in. Your input on this build means more to me than anything.

As for the cannon, I'm doing the earlier 30mm MK 101. So far as I know, nobody has done one of these in 1/32 scale and I can understand why. It's kind of an oddball piece, only used on a couple of aircraft and, even then, mostly in an experimental/limited capacity. The 129 probably made the widest use of it, but only at the beginning of it's service. The aircraft I've chosen to model is "Yellow 3"(Wk.Nr. 0350) of JG 51, which, according to Pegg's book, used the 101. In any case, I think that the tank barrel I've chosen, along with some scratch work, will make a very good representation of it.

As for the masters, I would love to have them. But, I think that's probably a little out of my league for the moment.

Thanks again, to everyone, for the comments.

John

Awesome start. Im totally jealous!!!

I never even knew this kit existed in 1/32, and would have jumped at the chance to own one!

That being said..................

I would of course,be happy to sell the masters for this kit. I only say this because some one else posted it already.

That would be AWESOME! I know for sure as long as the price was fairly in line with other resin kits of this size and nature Id definitely buy one; from you Jerry OR Gray Matters.

Just let me know and Id order one without a doubt.

Brian