Ceiling Queen B-17G

LSP_K2

OK, this will be my last WIP here until I finish something, I promise! A friend and good neighbor and myself were recently discussing WWII, and he disclosed that he'd love to have a B-17 hanging from his living room ceiling. "What a coincidence" I proclaimed, I just happen to have one! A 1:48 Monogram kit has been sitting in my dungeon for quite some time, and I think it's about time to build it. (I think Monogram must have sold about a zillion of these by now.) Model will be finished in a well worn OD over grey scheme, ala Eighth Air Force, Europe.

I started off by dolling up the engines a bit. I've also begun a search for some appropriate decals. :hmmm:

July001.jpg

The engine looks great and I look forward to your build..why a last WIP...are you okay.

Yep, I'm fine. Thanks for asking. The last WIP is a reference to the fact that I have about 12 WIP threads (or more), going on this site at this time already. Many of those haven't been updated in a while, but they're still here.

Minor update. I hadn't known at the time I began this effort what scheme I'd be using. My neighbor has no real preference, so I've opted for "Outhouse Mouse", 323rd BS, 91st BG (Heavy), Eighth Air Force. I"ll be opting for a fairly well beat up appearance, patched up, repainted areas, paint fading, stains, the works. We"ll see how that works out.

I present, "The Mouse". Decals have already been ordered.

TheMouse.jpg

Since my friend is a self proclaimed fortress fanatic, I'm anticipating he may want to give his guests some particulars, so I've made this little data card for him. I think he'll love it. (His wife thinks we're insane.)

OuthouseMouse1A.jpg

Just ordered some fresh Windsor Newton tube oils and Prismacolor pencils yesterday for this bird. I'm really wanting to begin painting, but have to chop up some figures first for the interior. Otherwise I'd begin painting tonight. Really looking forward to this a lot.

At a bare bones minimum, I think I'm going to need at least three figures for this beast; pilot, copilot, and bombardier. These will be visible through the glass, the others will be out of sight en-route to target. At least that's how I'm going to represent it. I'll chop up three guys later today, and situate them in interior.

Since my friend is a self proclaimed fortress fanatic, I'm anticipating he may want to give his guests some particulars, so I've made this little data card for him. I think he'll love it. (His wife thinks we're insane.)
OuthouseMouse1A.jpg

That's a nice one! Hope it's not too late to correct the spelling on the data card: should read "Me 163", not ME-163. There never is a hyphen between the manufacturers acronym and the RLM number of the aircraft! On the manufacturers acronym the first letter is a capital letter with the second one a lowercase.

HTH

Thomas

That's a nice one! Hope it's not too late to correct the spelling on the data card: should read "Me 163", not ME-163. There never is a hyphen between the manufacturers acronym and the RLM number of the aircraft! On the manufacturers acronym the first letter is a capital letter with the second one a lowercase.

HTH

Thomas

Interesting, I never considered it before.

OK, I've started painting. The absolute best thing about this kit (in my opinion), is that wings are such a well engineered fit, they can be added after the fact. I'm keeping a log of what I've done, paints and processes used, so that I (hopefully), can be consistent with the remainder of airframe painting. I've just begun, so this will get a lot skankier as time goes by. Thoughts?

Wing1004.jpg

Edited by Typhoonattack1

As a ceiling queen, the bottom becomes much more relevant, so this is where I'll concentrate most of my painting/weathering effects. More paint, pastels splattered on, and a fine overspray to blend it all together. All subsequent weathering will be done after clear coat.

Wing1008.jpg