F-86F-30 Sabre

DaveJ

I've been going back and forth for a while now to determine which kit I wanted to build for this GB. So many options! It finally dawned on me that I've been wanting to try the Kinetic Sabre ever since I got Harold's magnificent resin sets for it. I'll use the nose, gun panels and cockpit set from AMS plus the Aires air-brake set to round out the details. The kit decals are reportedly very good so that's what I'll use there.

This will be my first attempt at an all-over NMF finish, so wish me luck with that. ;) My normally club-fisted techniques will need to be curtailed if I want a surface clean enough for Alclad!

post-3154-1253286811.jpg

Glad to see someone here build this kit using Harold's sets. Be sure to post a lot of photos and fill us in how the fit is. I thank you will like the Alclad II if you just take your time on getting the surfice prepared before you apply the Alclad II.

Texas ;) :( ;)

I am looking forward to your build on this one, especially with all the resin. You will like Alclad, it is nice to work with. NMF and I don't really get along well but Alclad is what I am going to use on my Tony.

Shake well and good luck!

Glad to see someone here build this kit using Harold's sets. Be sure to post a lot of photos and fill us in how the fit is. I thank you will like the Alclad II if you just take your time on getting the surfice prepared before you apply the Alclad II.

Texas ;) :( :huh:

Thanks, Texas! Everything I've read about the kit itself indicates very good fit and a nice build. We'll have to see how much I can stuff it up trying to get all the resin bits in there. :unsure:

Interesting choice Dave! Should look pretty spectacular at the finish. Who's the pilot going to be?

Kev

Joseph C. McConnell was the top US ace of the Korean war, scoring 16 MIG kills before his untimely death. His bird, Beautious Butch II is what I'll be doing. It's probably the most often built Sabre but the kit decals are supposedly great, and I've already spent enough on aftermarket bits for this one! :P

I am looking forward to your build on this one, especially with all the resin. You will like Alclad, it is nice to work with. NMF and I don't really get along well but Alclad is what I am going to use on my Tony.

Shake well and good luck!

Thanks Matt! I do not fear the Alclad II since I've always had great success with it on smaller surfaces. It's my surface prep that concerns me! :blink: I usually count on flat paints to cover all of my clumsiness.....

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

After carefully looking over my Kinetic Sabre I think you would do well to block sand the entire airframe. There are some places particularly noticeable around the nose and gun ports that look like ridges (look between closely placed rows of rivets). I tried to remove these with the Master Caster sanding sticks and went all the way to the polishing pad. The end result is you can still see the ridges. So out comes a block of balsa with some wet/dry glued to one side. The ridges probably wouldn't show up on a camo Sabre, but NMF it's going to be pretty obvious.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
This will be my first attempt at an all-over NMF finish, so wish me luck with that. :speak_cool: My normally club-fisted techniques will need to be curtailed if I want a surface clean enough for Alclad!

post-3154-1253286811.jpg

You could always give foiling a try...........Ive got some perfect techniques to get the varying shades of the natural metal in foil.....everything from brilliant multi-colored heat stressed, to platinums, greys and everything in between. :frantic:

Either way I think you'll love that Kinetic kit. A close friend in GA who started me on my large scale foiling craze built one in foil as well, and it turned out spectacular, & pretty much has taken 1st or 2nds every time he has entered it. Bone stock OOB. I have included the a$$ end of another of Kens foiled 1/32 beauties; an F-100D just to show an example of 1 of the chemical aluminum color etching techniques we use on the foil. The F86F is amazingly foiled all the way from the front air intake lip bump all the way inside the intake to the engine...

1/32 Kinetic F86-F Sabre by Ken Friend:

F86F_1.JPG

F86F_2.JPG

F100D rear fuse by Ken Friend:

F100D_1.JPG

Keep us up to date, I think it will be a great build!

Cheers,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Well most everything I started off learning was by getting with Ken Friend and adopting some of his techniques. I also have adopted and started some of my own.

Its mostly fly by the seat of your pants kinda stuff with the exception of the chemical processes with the bleach solution and the egg water.

Even though i haven't really documented the processes step by step, Id be glad to help in any way you need. If you can, come up with a list of questions you'd like answered or techniques you'd like to learn and Ill do my best to answer them how I do things. Foiling is very similar to any modeling I think; an art, so everyone does things a bit differently ;)

Cheers,

Brian