Trumpeter P-38L Lightning

Adrian A.

Both Allisons on their engine mounts. I left them strapped together over night for them to set. With the added weight in the engines, I want to make sure the engine mounts are going to hold.

I have not installed the duct work or exhausts yet. I'll take care of that tonight.

The firewalls are not glued yet to the engine mounts, I'll glue them after I mount the ductwork.

For anyone building this bird, a word of advice when you're mounting the rubber injector lines to each engine. I would drill out each injector line point in the blocks. Maybe it was just me (probably anyway!) but, It was a bear trying to get the lines to hold. I finally just pulled it apart, drilled a few holes & it worked great. Much easier & no muss or fuss.

post-177-1253372803.jpg

Last pic of the morning.

This is the clearest shot of the Allisons (that I have left anyway).

These engines were a joy to build, they went together well with only one or two small fit problems (the manifolds in the block is the most predominant to me). It probably wouldn't have been an issue had I build the engines at one time - but I had put the blocks together quite a while back. I didn't notice the fit until AFTER I had loaded all the weights.

It's not even visible on the completed engine, but it's just one of those things I guess. Another issue is the injector line problem that I mentioned.

More to come.

Thanks for looking in!

Adrian

post-177-1253373240.jpg

Thanks Texas. I thought about a different method to do the weights - I was going to make molds of the inside of the engine blocks & inside the nose, then melt & pour lead into them. I didn't have the time (or equipment) to do the lead plug system but I think it would work pretty well.

I worked on the Lightning for a couple of hours today.

I started with the engines & mounted the duct system and secured it to the firewall.

post-177-1253413242.jpg