1/48 Tamiya Ki-61 Id Hien

Thunnus

Absolutely fabulous build, I'm involved with a Tamiya Hien group build this year. I will be using your thread as my build guide.

One note that isn't mentioned in your thread, you don't need to install the engine in the build, Tamiya has included an optional part on the sprues to install to mount the prop. But they don't mention it in the instructions.

If anyone wanted to save the engine for another use this is good to know.

Thank you!  Yes, I should have mentioned the t-shaped part that provides the prop shaft without having to install the engine.  I left the engine in to block off the view from the two little holes in the engine cowling but the holes are too small to see anything.

Great stuff John,

Brilliant techniques and execution. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Thank you Kahuna!

Fantastic.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark!

John,

TERRIFIC job and thanks especially for sharing your techniques with us - fantastic work.. That is one very interesting subject that you did a masterful job with.  Will be bookmarking this thread just for the skills technique.

Thanks and what is your next build going to be?   :popcorn:  :m0152:

Chris

Thanks Chris!  My next project is the Trumpeter 1/32 Me 262 with the Aires cockpit and wheel well set.  I've already started it in the Works In Progress forum... please check it out!  I've also got the Tamiya 1/32 Corsair in the queue!

Cracking build John. Beautiful finish, that green looks like its been on there for years. Looking forward to the 262 now.

Thank you Wacky!  I still need to figure out how to vary the chipping size on my builds.  I think a mixture of different techniques is necessary (hairspray+sponge+pencils) but that's so labor intensive!

• 2 months later...

Darn, the pictures are gone, I was going to use this thread as a build reference.  :fight:

Hold on a sec!  This thread's only seven pages... I'll fix the pics.  It'll take a few moments but check back later and the pictures should show up!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Great to see a model built after a profile I drew. Really cool work!

One minor point of critique is that the interior on this plane, being a late-production Ki-61-I Tei (Ki-61-Id), was most likely identical to the outside colour: Yellow-Green #7, a lurid kind of olive drab (your representation of which is excellent, by the way!). On the flip side, the bright tan colour shows off your great work on the cockpit much better and it's by no means a given that this colour was used on #62.

Lovely work, very cool build! I should really get myself one of these kits too, I hear nothing but good things about it other than that inaccurate red stripe for the bare metal scheme. Anyone building it, please use the blue stripes as blue was the house colour for the HQ flight to which Kobayashi belonged :)

Ronnie