First WnW: Albatros D.V Komplete 11/7/18

Gazzas

Hi everyone,

I've been bitten by the WWI bug, and started my first WnW kit.  The Albatros Trilogy was a great buy...  three complete kits for the cost of two.

The scheme inspiring me is this colorful example:Ltn.%20wolf.jpg

I started by doing the interior wood grain in another experimental manner.   It didn't quite come out as hoped, but as I don't have to match it with the exterior, I'm not going to redo it.

ZpFjdL.jpg

I have to admit that I'm at a loss as to how I might deal with ejector pin marks in sunken areas crowded by raised details.

I have no intention of leaving the engine panels off, but still I added ignition wires to the engine, taped the carburetor intakes and weathered it as much as I thought reasonable:

XpTRzy.jpg

The exhaust pipe is only dry fitted.  Most of the weathering was done with tube acrylics thinned with water.

p4NN5b.jpg

When I get to the point where I am doing the upper fuselage external details, I'll complete weathering the exhaust pipe with some pigments.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Nice work so far Gary.  I have only built a very few WWI bi-planes and have always found getting the offset on the wings to be both challenging and tiresome.  I wonder if that is not such a great issue with the WNW kits given their outstanding quality.

Ernest

Edited by Greif8

Lovely start. Don't worry to much about ejector marks, I've never filled them on a Wingnut kit and I can't see any on my completed builds.

Guys,

thanks for the great feedback.

Ernest,

a jig built for biplanes is a must.  The one I used was by Vertigo Miniatures.  It saved me from turning my Albatros D.III into a plastic missile.  It wasn't a WnW kit, and the biggest thing I learned was to pin the struts so they don't pop out while you are trying to do all of those things that must be done after attaching the wings.  The WnW has much bigger plastic connecting lugs.

Tony, thanks!  That's great news.  I was beginning to feel like a slouch for not making some attempt to get rid of them.

Gaz

Great start Gary! I have a wnw albatros in my stash so I'll be watching your build for inspiration. What was your experimental wood grain technique, if I may ask?

Thanks mate!

On my first Albatros I used a buff paint with with brown oil-paint lines then over sprayed it with a mixture of Tamiya clears yellow, orange, and green to get a honey color with muted wood grain beneath.

On this experiment I used a custard colored paint which I detailed using brown colored pencils to simulate wood grain.  Then I mixed a brown using Tamiya clears yellow, red, and blue.  But it came out more orange than intended.  I was painting close to dusk and my eyes were fooled into believing I was seeing brown, and not orange.

To mute the orange-nish-ness of it, I ended up using some tube acrylic browns and zinc chromate in thin washes.  Then, finally I used some white enamel for drybrushing.  

A lot more work than intended, but I can live with the result.

Gaz