How do you remove parts from the sprue?

CANicoll

Cutters for plastic, I bought a Tamiya saw for Resin and their scissors for PE. I also made a PE "cutting board" from 5 mm Perspex with a clear perspex block to hold PE parts down and then cut with curved blade. Sanding sticks etc for cleanup. The latest product that really "wowed" me are the Tamiya sanding sponges. That stuff is out of this world. 

I'm also starting to learn how to use the different blades and sanders on my Dremmel. 

Edited by Gerhard

I don't use my Dremel really at all,  Definitely something to look at. 

Will have to look into the Tamiya sponges.  The Radu razor saw is seeing a lot more use.

I have a very wide selection of sanding tools I use including the pads, Squadron sticks, those multi-color sanding wands from micro mark (very handy due to a wide variety of sanding options in one tool).

Chris

Being a total tool tart ('scuse the alliteration!!) I seem to have most of these tools, although the Tamiya cutters sound the bees knees! Radu's saws in a Swann Morton handle works really well though, definitely my go-to for anything needing particular care.

All of the above except the electronics tweezer type tool and the double edge saw. Not a fan of that saw at all. I find them clumsy. Sawing off clear parts is the only way I prevent bad things.

I use a hot blade to remove all the wheels from tank kits. Saves time and if I mess up a bit the gouge can be attributed to wear and tear.

Rick

Previously used a cheep set of fine wire cutters from Harbor Freight (US retailer of cheap Chinese made tools) which did fine, honestly. I recently upgraded to Xuron nippers and Xuron PE scissors. The PE scissors are far and away the best way to cut PE I've found. I can usually get a completely clean cut right off the sprues with no need for clean up. Still trying to perfect cleaning up sprues attachment points from styrene parts. I can often gouge the plastic - probably need to sand more cut less

I use sprue cutters, but I leave a little bit of plastic that I clean up with my xacto blade and sand paper. For resin I sometimes use a small hobby saw, but for more delicate parts I use a blunt xacto blade and my scriber to cut the part off the block.

I'm in complete agreement with Bstarr3 on Xuron's PE sissors - I picked up a 3 pack of tools at Telford and they are truly amazing - one of the best tools I use with PE!

For resin I'm increasingly going to saw route - razor or even Xacto blade. VERY fine tooth blades for small parts...

Ernie - you'll be getting dentures soon at this rate, but that could be a feature: just sharpen two of those side teeth to get a clean cut from the sprue". 

:popcorn: Honestly, I'd almost pay good money to see you gnaw off a wing or something from a sprue... :hmmm: