CORKTIP 632

David Hansen

Very early progress pics of my newest project. I might even finish it.

I was one of the Millions Thousands Hundreds Dozens of model builders who begged Paul to do a 32nd scale RF-8 Conversion for the Trumpeter F-8E...one of their better efforts.

Time to put up or shut up.

I'm pretty new to conversions so this is gonna be a pretty conservative project. Just learning to deal with the quirks of resin will prove enough of a stretch for me. I think its gonna be done in the late 1970s markings of VFP-306 at NAS Andrews. One of my pilot friends, Doug Simpson was an RF-8 Pilot in the late Vietnam/Postwar period. Doug said most of the time RF-8 pilots used the callsign "CORKTIP", hence the name of the thread.

42210581564_34a3718a98_m.jpg

You can see from here that right now we're sort of in the parts cleanup phase, making sure to check that everything fits together as hoped, with no surprises.

41118738070_60228866b4_z.jpg

There is a lot going on inside of these big resin fuselage halves. The integrated nose/intake/tunnel sorta supports the internals and muscles the fairly large castings into position.....assisted by some aggressive use of Tamiya Tape.

41118738270_b2a9fb4916_z.jpg

Since these pics were taken, i've started painting the internals and am color blocking the cockpit tub.

Thanks for shopping. Watch this space...

-d-

Guest Peterpools

David

Way to go and will be following all the way.

I built Paul's Meteor F.8 conversion and no problems to report at all.

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

David

Way to go and will be following all the way.

I built Paul's Meteor F.8 conversion and no problems to report at all.

Keep 'em comin

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

I'm bouncing between the cockpit tub....and the second ejection seat on Gypsy 203....

-d-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a small progress update. I got the cameras finished.

43893090925_7b4a254f60_h.jpgRF-8G Cameras by convairb58, on Flickr

I was held up for awhile, on how to go about painting the cameras but Ben Schumacher came thru with some useful information.

There is not much else holding me up from gluing the whole front end together. I need to  tweak the location of some of the forward cameras that attach to the nose wheel well. The big cameras that go on the back end of the intake trunk need to be anchored in place cause the fit/ attachment is a bit loose and floppy. However, nothing i cannot handle.

More progress soon... i hope.

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Progress effectively stopped. Nothing really went wrong with the project per se, but i do need to go back and improve the tabs that the cameras mount to. As they are now, the mounting is very loose and floppy; the cameras could break loose once installed in the fuselage.

I wanted to build something for myself for a change, and after finally getting John Lawler's Tomcat delivered to him, i wanted a VF-211 Tomcat. It's entering the home stretch.

-d-