P-51D-5-NA "Jan" QP-D

xmh53wrench

Well so far this has been the only real let down with this thing. I am still on the fence as to whether or not I am going to fix up the back of the wheel wells. My biggest prob with the canopy is that its way more than a bit of scratching or finessing that will fix it. Its a shame that, IMHO, two parts could be so detrimental to this kit. But I am having a blast with it so far.

Thanks Tim for the heads up, I kinda figured that was the case with this kit just being a reboxing.

Well, we decided to take a little jaunt up the road in our little old RV, so.......decided on some mobile modeling. Its nice to get away, but drag the hobbies along too.

IMAG1929.jpg

Figured I would get all the flight control halves buttoned up, as well as fuel tanks and a few of the other kinda mindless things. I have a bit of scratching and modifying left in the cockpit to make it pretty close to a -5 Mustang. I also had an extra Airfix instrument panel (which is a -5) so I am going to use it as well.

LOL theres Harvs P-38 in the background....LOL

Thanks for looking in MARU5137. I got a bit done on our little camping trip, it was nice and relaxing.....well kinda.....till I realized the once full bag of "Match-light", charcoal briquets was nearly empty. So what was supposed to be a real nice but inexpensive campfire cooked meal, turned into high-way robbery prices of normal briquets and starter fluid so we could cook said meal......but it still turned out yummy....

IMAG1932.jpg

....yup thats how we roll in our 1977 22' run down RV (caravan, wagon, whatever you folks that talk funny call them)... :rofl: (Lobster ala Louie, my specialty)

And on to the update:

I pre puttied the wings so I could get some sanding done on them prior to assembly. And I assembled all the flight controls and paper tanks (man they fit nice and look even better). Then did some work on the prop, only to realize I had grabbed the wrong can of red paint, so a repaint of the spinner is in order (again fit is amazing and the spinner is a bit shorter and has a better shape than the Airfix).

IMAG1966.jpg

And what do I do with this?????? I am so torn with the wheel well on this airplane. I really wanted my build of "Jan" to be spectacular, and I just dont know if it will be with that God aweful back end of the gear well.....who knows, maybe I will just end up painting up the pilot and putting her in flight (doh after all that work on the seat) :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: gear up yanking and banking......actually kinda sounds decent.

IMAG1968.jpg

Edited by xmh53wrench

• 1 month later...

Well dug this out for a bit today, while some stuff was drying on my Precious Metal build.

The spinner needed repainting as I didnt like the color, so repainted it with good ol Testors 1231 Gloss Bright Red spray, and set that aside. Also painted the prop tips MM Insignia Yellow, and did some dry brushing on the leading edges. While I had the MM Aluminum out brushed some on the inside of the fuselage, the wheel well, and the landing gear. I am pretty happy with the look of the gear, nice to have cross hatch tread tires, and the tail wheel looks pretty awesome as well. The split rims are just great, I assembled them sans any glue, and dont see a problem at all with that in the future. I also left out that goofy spring in the strut, my plan for this plane is on a stand taking off with the gear about 3/4 up, so I just glued the struts together fully extended. Scissors arent real accurate, but they actually move freely if assembling per the kit with the springs. I did, though, drill out that tiny ring (I am assuming thats the tow bar attach point), cut it off and glue it back on 90 degrees to its original position. I am also planning to the brake line with some evergreen, as the rubber "line" in the kit is rather wonky.

Anyway, here is a few pics of the gear.

Havent permanently attached the wheels yet, as I think I want to spray the main gear and repaint the oleo.

Really liking this kit, and have decided to "live" with that horrible canopy, just cant figure out to make an Airfix one work, it just is not tall enough to mate up with the Hobby Craft windscreen.

IMAG2221.jpg

IMAG2222.jpg

Oh and MARU5137, the food was tasty, but certainly not spicey....lol, thanks for looking in guys. Next up, first sign of decent weather, the Interior Green will be flying.

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Nice progress on one tough kit. Just keep at it and take your time and slowly but surely, another 'Stang will be rolling out the hanger door.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter and Maru5137. Worked on this over the weekend while some putty dried on the engine cowling for Precious Metal.

Finished the landing gear, and prop. Then dug out the Airfix pilot and Warren McArthur seat. Added the lightening holes to the seat and some 34092 Green. Assembled the pilot, a Google search and a bunch of custom mixed colors and the pilot was painted, then a coat of Testors Dull coat to blend it all together. Not thrilled with how grey his face turned out, so I may be repainting that. This was my first attempt at a pilot in this scale. Did a similar process on the IP as I did on my Airfix build, since I am using an Airfix -5 style IP anyway. Finally painted the Interior Green on the cockpit sides, so I am in the process of getting them done.

I did dig out an extra Airfix oil tank and will be using that instead of the kit tank which is just a horrible shape.

Anyway a few pics of my progress....

IMAG2254.jpg

IMAG2253.jpg

That looks mighty fine Louie, particularly the IP ... The pilot looks proud to be in the seat as well.

The conveyor belt seems to be rolling along quite nicely !

Grant.

(PS: I tried a few times to log in but failed a few times - the site seemed to be down a lot)

Thanks Grant, yup the conveyor needs to be full tilt right now, I need to get these ol girls done while I cant head to the garage. Goal is a closed up fuselage by next weekend. And I just added 2 more to the list. Not LSP for sure, but I think required as they are going to be my test beds for NMF. A Monogram 1/48 and a Seminar 1/72 (my first ever in that scale and a really really nifty lil kit). And boy is it tiny.....

IMAG2234.jpg

IMAG2235.jpg

Just quick OOB for them just to see how the alclad is going to work...(oh and I found "Jan" decals for the 1/72....lol)