HK B-17...C 11/2 progress resumes!

brahman104

• 2 weeks later...

Craig,

We've all missed your updates and great to have you back --- until duty calls again.

Sometimes I think you're really an international spy;  you suddenly drop off the scope and then just as suddenly resurface and pick up right where you left off!

"BOND --- CRAIG BOND"

Bathtub shape came out great; you make it look so easy. I can already imagine how it will look once you "Craig-a-mize" it with your usual details.

I'm surprised that you were limited by the size of your vac-u-former --- you didn't just whip up a larger one, in your spare time?

Now that the major work on the Memphis Belle is done, hopefully giving Ole Betsy/Swoose some serious attention will get rolling.

On 7/14/2018 at 5:20 PM, tomprobert said:

I’ve missed this build - it’s great to see some more progress. 

You’ve made an excellent start on the tub and no doubt it’ll really start to come to life as you add the internal details. 

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks! I've missed it too! Life is still ultra-hectic at the moment.... really need to rethink the work-life balance. I'm hoping I can spare a few moments soon to make a start on the internals of the bathtub :)

On 7/15/2018 at 6:20 AM, Geddyme said:

Welcome back and congratulations on the new bench, Craig, very nice indeed!

Your B-17 project is looking fantastic! I think you nailed the bathtub and that wing root area is excellent work as well. Keep it coming.

Cheers, David

Thanks David! 

On 7/24/2018 at 12:17 PM, SCRATCH BUILDER said:

Hey Craig,

The bubbles in you vac plastic, your plastic has absorbed moisture, you should cook this out by putting your plastic in an oven around 150 degrees for about 30 min's that should help.

Otherwise nice work!

Thanks mate. Yes I did read something about that. Unfortunately I live in a very humid environment so I'm always likely to be up against that. Having said that though, it's not really too much of a problem for this particular part but I will keep your advice in mind, cheers!

On 7/29/2018 at 4:59 AM, TKB said:

Craig,

We've all missed your updates and great to have you back --- until duty calls again.

Sometimes I think you're really an international spy;  you suddenly drop off the scope and then just as suddenly resurface and pick up right where you left off!

"BOND --- CRAIG BOND"

Bathtub shape came out great; you make it look so easy. I can already imagine how it will look once you "Craig-a-mize" it with your usual details.

I'm surprised that you were limited by the size of your vac-u-former --- you didn't just whip up a larger one, in your spare time?

Now that the major work on the Memphis Belle is done, hopefully giving Ole Betsy/Swoose some serious attention will get rolling.

Hahaha! If only I could say that my life is as glamorous as that; the reality being somewhat different! Hopefully one of these days things will calm down and I can get in some good bench time. :)

Cheers all and thanks for all the ongoing support and encouragement!

Craig

Craig,

I always forget to ask.

What's your opinion of the new mold Airfix B-17G? I mean outside of not being in your usual scale!

Regardless of it being a late production "G" it looks to be a leap above the Revell kit. Looks like they got Sta #3 right, but (to me) the side cabin windows appear to be off in thier hieght; like something is out of whack with the cabin itself and they adjusted the window to fit into the space available. Always something!

Be a nice conversion for a 1/72 B-17 nut!

• Cut the Airfix "G" and Academy "C/D" at #6 and slice.
  • Cut out the Airfix at #4 and replace with an Academy "E"  section from #4 forward.

Unfortunate that Academy messed up on the "B/C/D" nose windows, making them too small and squared off, only to better represent them on the "E".

• Graft on the Academy "C/D"  cabin area and add suitably modified Airfix wings

Presto --- a pretty decent "C/D."

Sounds like something to fill your spare time!

Terry

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2018 at 9:50 AM, TKB said:

Craig,

I always forget to ask.

What's your opinion of the new mold Airfix B-17G? I mean outside of not being in your usual scale!

Regardless of it being a late production "G" it looks to be a leap above the Revell kit. Looks like they got Sta #3 right, but (to me) the side cabin windows appear to be off in thier hieght; like something is out of whack with the cabin itself and they adjusted the window to fit into the space available. Always something!

Be a nice conversion for a 1/72 B-17 nut!

• Cut the Airfix "G" and Academy "C/D" at #6 and slice.
  • Cut out the Airfix at #4 and replace with an Academy "E"  section from #4 forward.

Unfortunate that Academy messed up on the "B/C/D" nose windows, making them too small and squared off, only to better represent them on the "E".

• Graft on the Academy "C/D"  cabin area and add suitably modified Airfix wings

Presto --- a pretty decent "C/D."

Sounds like something to fill your spare time!

Terry

Haha! Your mind never rests does it Terry? :)

I must admit I haven't had a good look at the airfix kit, but initially I thought the panel lines were a bit heavy for my liking. However what you propose seems imminently doable, perhaps you could start a non-LSP thread and share the fun! wink wink ;)

So anyway I have no idea where the time has gone lately, but I have been turning my attention to doing some CAD work in Rhino to make some of the myriad of little components in the nose and other places. I know Rhino can do it, the big test now is if my $600 AynCubic Photo resin printer can deliver the goods....

So here's what I've made so far:

nk3VoDg.png

This is the hand refuelling pump. I made it straight off the Boeing drawings. Yes the handle is the correct way for it being stowed on the rear wall of the bomb bay :)

T2ez0HX.png

This is the basic shape of the auxillary ferry tank which sits in the bomb bay. Despite looking simple, it is a mega-confusing shape to model for a CAD novice like me! It also created a whole range of issues when I made it into an STL for printing, so I think I've fixed that now.... here's hoping!

Be2Qc77.png

This is a little marker beacon receiver. Scaled out it comes to 11mm long.

AeJ9ERZ.png

This is the hydraulic reservior tank which sits on the fwd face of the bomb bay. This is an approximation as I can't find any factory drawings of the early ones, only the later versions as fitted to E-G's.

wOXeMGN.png

This hurt my head! It's a B-3 driftmeter which sits on the right hand side of the nose. I reckon this took me about 12 hours to draw. I found some excellent drawings of the mount, then had to free-hand the actual driftmeter itself. The little eye cups were quite a challenge! This one also had some strange issues in the middle section that caused me huge amounts of grief when I exported it as an STL file, so I had to simplify it a little. I have no idea why it doesn't like certain bits of some drawings but hopefully with it now in print I'll have the results to share with you shortly!

I really hope these components work out, I have a stack of other little bits and pieces that will save me a massive amount of time making them if I can get them to print, then I can finally start moving along with this thing!

Cheers,

Craig :)

Hey Craig,

Good luck on the 3d prints, I just recently picked up a Photon as well, and have been getting good results with my prints (1/24 scale truck wheels).  If you were unaware, there is a very active, and knowledgable facebook group for the Photon printer, with lots of info for different types of resin.   

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnycubicPhoton/

I look forward to your prints and the rest of your build.

-kev

Craig,

Very nice work on the drawings.

You seem to have projects within projects to support your C/D Fort build.

WOW! It's going to be 4 years in December since you set out to build "something different" out of the HK B-17G, but it's been an enjoyable 4 years of watching your progress. When I look back at all the work you've put into her so far (not to mention your work interuptions) it's surprising you're as far along as you are!

Amazing where you talent and tenacity has brought your endeavor..

Terry

On 9/17/2018 at 12:25 AM, chilly said:

Hey Craig,

Good luck on the 3d prints, I just recently picked up a Photon as well, and have been getting good results with my prints (1/24 scale truck wheels).  If you were unaware, there is a very active, and knowledgable facebook group for the Photon printer, with lots of info for different types of resin.   

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnycubicPhoton/

I look forward to your prints and the rest of your build.

-kev

Thanks Kev!

It does seem to be a machine with a lot of potential absolutely, but there's certainly a lot to consider in the setup of the prints. Cheers for the link, I'll be sure to have a look :)

20 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

Very nice work on the drawings.

You seem to have projects within projects to support your C/D Fort build.

WOW! It's going to be 4 years in December since you set out to build "something different" out of the HK B-17G, but it's been an enjoyable 4 years of watching your progress. When I look back at all the work you've put into her so far (not to mention your work interuptions) it's surprising you're as far along as you are!

Amazing where you talent and tenacity has brought your endeavor..

Terry

4 years? Where has that time gone?! I'd better get a move on with it, since I've still got an E, F and when they're released, a B-24 and Lancaster to do! :) Thank you as always Terry for your constant interest, comment, support and dilligent research along the way. Speaking of which, how did you go with those drawings I sent you? Find any other details I should consider?

It certainly does seem like a whole heap of random mini projects..... hopefully one day they'll all combine to look like a B-17!

15 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Great work in 3D!

I'm really interested how the prints will look like.

:popcorn:

Juraj

Hi Juraj. Many thanks, see below for the results....

10 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent work Craig!   This is turning out to be one hell of a project with a lot of extra work.   Looking forward to more! 

G'day Brian! Thank you! Yes it certainly is/has been, but you are well familiar with what a lot of work looks like to make a model of a plane you love :)

Soooo, how did the prints go?

Well, I did run into some issues with a few of the drawings, which meant that the slicer program for the printer didn't accept them. I'm hoping that Tim (Wunwinglow) can help me out and show me the errors of my ways so I can get them to print...

Anyway, I did end up printing the driftmeter, fuel pump and ferry tank. It took a few goes as I'm still becoming familiar with the intricacies of resin printing, and for the fuel tank, considering it's a big solid lump, I should have used the traditional printer..... Haha, every day's a school day ;)

TesLQOC.jpg

This is the driftmeter printed twice. In the first (left) the drawing had a "hole" in the top and middle part, which is why they are missing. As I said, I don't know why it doesn't like certain parts but hopefully I can work it out. For now, the easiest thing to do was to remove the offending bit and re-draw. That's not really a viable option for a few of the other drawings, but it did give me the result you see on the right. This is how they come straight out of the printer after curing with UV light.

mJiAzIp.jpg

These are the fuel pumps. I did a few as it's more efficient to print like this, especially if some of the bits break when you clean them up.

KXwwtNo.jpg

The ferry tank. The resin is quite easy to carve with a modelling knife, and should sand nicely, so even though this has lines present, they shouldn't be too much of an issue. Having said that, as a piece of solid resin, this is quite heavy, which also cause me issues during printing as the bed lost its level <_<

19NiesP.jpg

Here's the driftmeter with just the supports roughly removed. Not bad at all I reckon, even though the photo doesn't do it justice. Once it's painted it should look pretty good!

b6fOekb.jpg

And again. As you can see the little eye cup at the top came out a treat! :)

ZZfmCfA.jpg

And the fuel pump roughly cleaned up. The white residue I believe is a reaction of having washed the part in water, then methylated spirit during the cleanup, but I should be able to scrub that off with a stiff bristled brush.....

All in all, the machine holds much potential. Most of the errors I encountered during the printing were self-induced, and a I still have a lot to learn. But given the resolution of what CAN be printed, this should save me quite a bit of time in doing lots of minor details, especially in the nose and cockpit!

Cheers,

Craig

Nice Craig!

For Resin, I have had great luck with Phrozen ABS-like Gray.  I have noticed that the build plate leveling is Key, and then adding supports so there are non floating islands.

here is a Fan shroud test I did to see how small I can get holes.  This was Modeled in Maya, exported as an .STL

30901612008_e827c9249e_b.jpg

Oh my gosh, this is totally stunning! As chance would have it, I saw this video about the Photon yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrUQOYLoK0

And now I see your impressive results with this machine. I could not hold myself back, and 10 minutes ago, I ordered this printer for just 400 € :frantic:

Sometimes, I also have problems with some 3d-files, that look nice in the CAD software, but are not properly working in the slicing software. Sometimes, it helps when I load the files up to this online repair service:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Cheers

Alex