PCM 1/32 Re. 2005..... tale of an elegant fighter

alaninaustria

Here I have gone over the LE and TE with Jay's sanders... just a few swipes and she is all cleaned up nicely... the Mr. sfcr is for me the best solution to cleaning up the glueing mess I usually create! :wub:

That's it for today!

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Just love the contour and shape of this thoroughbred war horse... :wacko:

post-10-1186698732.jpg

Here I have gone over the LE and TE with Jay's sanders... just a few swipes and she is all cleaned up nicely... the Mr. sfcr is for me the best solution to cleaning up the glueing mess I usually create! :P

That's it for today!

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Just love the contour and shape of this thoroughbred war horse... :blink:

Mate, you're a clean worker by my standards!

This is looking like a great build.

Looking at this kit, and the new Ki-61 from Hasegawa (or Radu's beautiful resin version), one can't help thinking that "DB engined fighters" would be a great group build.

I've got the Macchi Folgore, which I gather has fit challenges, although I'm sure it's buildable. One might even have a go at Spitfire VB EN 830 at Rechlin as a kit-bash.

Anyway, this looks like a beautiful kit and your enthusiam is infectious!

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Alan;

You are a bit of a construction machine lately! The beautiful jobs you are doing with all of your builds is a real treat to come and see. I am moving at a snails pace build wise lately and you are doing supreme justice to allot of kits I really fancied having a go at. I can now live my modelling life vicariously through you. :blink:

Now that you mention the sanders, drop me a line if you need some.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Thanks for the kind words guys! Jay, glad to have you back up and run'in again.... I know all too well how being sick is :wacko:

I have had nothing else to do except sit/lay around like a half dead dog at home for the last week... but things are slowly getting better! As well, my loving wife has been house sitting for the in laws - so I have had all the time in the world to get a "few things" done ;)

Today I tackled a miriad of small jobs. The spinner was cleaned up and sanded down with the "Big Purple Stick", and then riveted using the MDC riveter. I really don't have much to go by with regards to being accurate on the riveting... so I am just taking my best guess! :o :unsure:

post-10-1186754502.jpg

I then moved on over to the props...the prop blades were also given the sanding/polishing treatment as the spinner, and then they were drilled and pegged with an alignment pin. The blades were drilled right through, then placed on the spinner backing, and then lightly drilled down for the pin. By using one pin, the angle between the 3 different blades can later be set correctly at 120 degrees between each one :unsure:

post-10-1186754713.jpg

I then moved on to the tail area. Here PCM has provided some beautiful resin castings for the rear landing gear tail wheel yoke, and mounting flange. The only real work here is to remove the casting block from the parts. The yoke itself is injected plastic, and it had a bit of flash on it, so I just reshaped it a bit, drilled the centers out and mounted a new axle - which I will finish off at a later date when I work the tail wheel over.

post-10-1186755472.jpg

Here is a test fitting of the lower flange + yoke... the opening of the rear wheel area required a small bit of "trueing out" to get the angles all exactly 90 degrees to each other! The fit of these resin parts is just amazing - I am very impressed!

post-10-1186755792.jpg

I always was a fan of geometry in school... and I like to have either good angles, or round cirlces.. so in order to "true out" the prop area of the main fuselage, I decided to "shim" the forward fuselage with 0.25mm thick styrene sheet... not that hard to do, just use CA glue and then trim and sand down to get it even with the fuselage edge.

After test fitting the entire model, I found that this shim increased the roundness of the forward fuselage area perfectly and "fattened" up the wig to fuselage fit - to a perfect fit!

post-10-1186756637.jpg