1/32 Trumpeter F-14A Tomcat

Mark Jackson

Have you considered the Aires F-14A nozzles for the Tamiya kit?  They might fit and they look really nice.  Kit # 2188 if you're interested.

As above Marcel, Aires also makes really nice nozzles for the F-14B/D as well.  Also, with some work and lots of aftermarket parts, the Trumpeter kit can look really good.

If you're interested Kirk, I have a build thread of the A-10A (converted to A-10C) kit here.  It was a lot of work, but the end result turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. :rolleyes:   Skip to the last page to see the results......

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/262693-132-trumpeter-a-10c-hog-putting-lipstick-on-a-pig-of-a-kit/

Cheers,

Chuckj

Hi Chuck,

Thank you and yes I have followed your A-10C build over on ARC and you most certainly conquered that challenge.  One of these days I will muster up the courage to tackle it, but for the time being my professional work keeps me way to busy and have I limited time to model, so keeping project(s) on the bench that do not require intensive care.  Love you current F-15 build, that one I may tackle myself very soon.

Kirk

• 1 year later...

I've been doing some research on 1/32 builds of the Tomcat and this one was interesting and seems to push the debate of Tamiya vs Trumpeter to the Tamiya corner.

I really hope Tamiya decides to scale up its now already legendary 1/48 scale Tomcats!!

Guest Maxim

The Tamiya F-14A is a better kit IMHO. The nose and canopy are better shaped and those open panels on the Trumpeter kit don't fit very well either. I gave mine away  and was glad to see it go. You'll have much better luck with the Academy FA-18 kit. Goes together very well.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2017 at 11:27 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Have you considered the Aires F-14A nozzles for the Tamiya kit?  They might fit and they look really nice.  Kit # 2188 if you're interested.

As above Marcel, Aires also makes really nice nozzles for the F-14B/D as well.  Also, with some work and lots of aftermarket parts, the Trumpeter kit can look really good.

Cheers,

Chuckj

Well I Can safely say that this is by no means an option as the aires lovely parts who fit the tamiya kit like a charm are way undersized for the trumpeter parts....I'm trying to make the kit parts look like a decent representation of the real deal but for the time being that's your only option 

HTH

Cheers Fred

I've built several F-14A's over the years and the Tamiya fit is awful and then there is all that rescribing.  Revell is okay but still needs a huge amount of work.  So between the three I can see more potential with Trumpeter's offering whilst the minus points provide a challenge.  

49532153432_9f76ab07c7_b.jpg

49532153662_b1d6e674a7_b.jpg

49532153572_3ff8dab06d_b.jpg

49531930061_d68aba4959_b.jpg

Lakenheath F-15's were practising night flying for the past couple of nights so I had a few hours unable to sleep - perfect for hacking away at the plastic.

I have to say, I'm glad this came back :) and will be following you every step of the way. I have recently acquired all 3 of the Trumpeter F14s, one of their F-18s and a Harrier for a really, really good price from China, and the Tamiya F14A.

I've pined over those kits for years, the F14 being my all-time favourite bird, and I need some inspiration after being a bit heartbroken when finding out they weren't what I thought they'd be. (mostly after researching after-the-fact, doh!)

Can't wait to see how you continue with this.

If anyone making models has never attempted to open up an access panel then this part of the build is for you.  Some modellers have a different technique opting to use a scalpel to score along the inner edges of the panel, which works if the plastic is fairly thin.  However the Trumpeter plastic is thick and the quickest and most controlled way of shifting the panel is to use either a Dremel type drill or good old pin-vice drill.  A good set of modeller's files and sanding sticks are also required.

49558561451_707fb3d51e_h.jpg

Good reference photos are a must.  

49558797207_53d44fb03b_h.jpg

49558561521_c33ad1774c_h.jpg

49558797047_494d19f431_h.jpg

49558796977_2043d301a2_h.jpg

Take your time to reach the edge where the panel ends.

49558796912_2102bd23e8_h.jpg

:mental: