1/32 Ki-61 - I

Radub

Radu, Thanks for illustrating so clearly. Where would you rate this as a build on a difficulty scale?Most of my stuff is OOB or with some fiddely bits and wireing. also, are you going to finish the master, or is that a test/assembly bed for the other models/ parts? This is one kit I plan to buy and actually build :)

Any chance a Spitfire or Mossie is next on your list? :)

... did I just throw gas on a fire?...

Thanks everyone.

That looks reallyn nice mate. Have you weathered the cockpit or not? It looks really good, if you haven't then it looks like the detail is so sharp that washes/dry brushing etc isn't neccassary.

Thanks Jamie,

I used some grey pastel powder in some places to create shadows. I do not use washes that much...

Radu, Thanks for illustrating so clearly. Where would you rate this as a build on a difficulty scale?Most of my stuff is OOB or with some fiddely bits and wireing. also, are you going to finish the master, or is that a test/assembly bed for the other models/ parts? This is one kit I plan to buy and actually build :)

Any chance a Spitfire or Mossie is next on your list? :)

... did I just throw gas on a fire?...

Thanks mike in calif,

The masters have been finished a long while ago and were used by MDC to produce the kit.

Now I am building the MDC kit - what you see here is the MDC resin kit.

The kit goes together quite well and everything is included in the package - you will need to add very little to it (some wires here and there...) Usually, resin parts need a lot of cleaning (removing casting blocks, separation films, etc) but MDC has a unique system of casting that requires very little cleaning. There is no major preparation needed.

No gas on this fire! There is no chance of either a Spitfire or a Mossie, not from me anyway... :)

Radu

Beautiful work Radu.... she looks like I could climb on in and throw the starter... count 6 blades and fuel on..... this is really exciting to see her come along? How does it feel to be building your own creation? I can imagine that must be a great feeling!

Cheers

Alan :)

Thank you very much everyone for your kind words.

Alan, building this model feels a little odd... It is hard to describe, but I look at the parts with different eyes because I know how they were made and designed. I am too familiar with it. I am looking forward to the reviews, just to get the other perspective. :) I am also looking forward to see the model built by other modellers, just to see how they approach it.

Radu

Here is another picture of the progress so far.

The centre part of the wing/fuselage was glued in place. I added some MrSurfacer500 to the seams. After that dries thoroughly, it will be sanded.

As you can see, I placed some "tabs" made from masking tape on some delicate edges of the kit that may get damaged during handling. Also, I added strengthening "splints" in the exhaust openings in order to protect the exhaust shields, which are quite delicate.

Radu

post-683-1165173538.jpg

looking good dude. its coming along nicely now. outstand work

hacker <_< :D

Hacker,

Is the "thumbs up" .gif that you posted above copyrighted or in the public domain? I'd like to use it myself now and then if possible.

Charles Metz

On to the wings now.

the kit provides two types of wingtip lights: "early" (large clear part) and "late" (solid wingtip with blister lights). I intend to build aircraft "88". "88" was fitted with both types of wingtip lights (photos taken at different times show both). I decided to build mine with "late" type lights. For that, I glued the resin parts in place - some light sanding was needed to make them flush with the wings. I recommend the Mastercasters sanders, they made the job so much easier!

post-683-1165318341.jpg