1/32 Trumpeter P47 Razorback

Vynce804

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress, all of the markings are now painted but what a nightmare it was and this kit is lucky to still be on my bench!

So I'd never used masks before. And I think I have done it the hard way but learned a lot in the process. Using the masks is straightforward and just takes a bit of patience, where I mainly came unstuck is in the application of the white. It took loads of Coats to get a good opaque coverage and after the blue was applied and the mask was removed initially all looked great until I noticed that the markings looked quite thick with a very pronounced edge and to make matters worse you could see the white below the blue at the edge of the national insignia!

I couldn't leave it like it was. And the only option was to get a very fine sanding stick out and start sanding my new markings! After sanding and then re masking to touch up markings and invasion stripes I think I have something I'm happy with but it was a lot of effort!

Next time I will lay down the white for the markings before the main camo or nmf colour, I'm not sure how this would work with the added complication of invasion stripes though!

A good tip I heard and worked great for me was to spray a thin clear coat before any colour on the markings as it helps to prevent colour bleed through.

Ok now onto weathering!

Cheers

Matt

mf8Ggi1.jpg

jRwCnoo.jpg

7vipg98.jpg

8r6CsnD.jpg

wRUJb4K.jpg

Edited by Vynce804

Hi Iain,

Yes and no...the construction is definitely quicker as you know what will be seen so know what to leave out...supercharger ducting and most of the engine behind the front row of cylinders for example. But the painting has been more challenging, my first NMF And of course using masks for the markings!

cheers

Matt

Guest Maxim

Really looking good! Invasion stripes look great as does the metal finish. What i like is how you got the gun panels on the wings looking as if they were molded as part of the wing and not separate pieces.

Looks absolutely stunning. I definitely prefer painting insignia on my models than using decals. I usually paint the insignia first, then completely mask them and then shoot the camo. That's the technique I used on the b-25 I am building in the Iron Rain GB and it worked well, I did not get any step between the insignia and the rest of the paint. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

David

Great recovery Matt. That would really stall my mojo bumping into the color issue you mentioned on spraying the National markings. The jug really looks awesome at this stage. Thanks for sharing.

Troy