Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

ZJV6UnQ.jpg

As you can all see, after masking off part of the windscreen with the Tamiya bendy tape and adding their white putty in layers, I have successfully created a narrow, protruding edge along the bottom. This should make masking and painting a simple matter. Very little smoothing out to do; happy with the results.

S0Lw45j.jpg

Now all that is needed is some Humbrol 24 matt yellow.

jna4yrD.jpg

The letters that Richard sent me are slightly oversized, but no matter. No turning back now. Thanks again, Richard!

The streaks that can be seen on the fuselage are from wetsanding, it will be cleaned up before the second satin coat.

Edited by Sparzanza

• 4 weeks later...

Good show, Bjorn.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark!

But alas, I have enormous difficulties finding motivation to cross the finishline. My mojo has hit rock bottom since the surgery. I don't know whether this is normal or not. Hoping to get it back soon as I would love to see her finished.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm... I noticed some cracks in the Tamiya white putty after shooting my first yellow coat. I will need to adress those before proceeding. :) I remember one can mix Humbrol enamel paint into the putty. I will do just that. Should save me the hassle of spraying 3-4 extra coats.

l9oxqnr.jpg

C2swTN2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good!

Thank you Brian!

Sparz

Right wit Biran

Looking good - fingers crossed

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Now, next step would be to attach the replacement decal that Richard so kindly provided me with. However, I am a bit torn... the B appears to be of a single color on a photograph that I have of the plane, and not with a yellow outline like the rest of the letters.

Luckily the decals that I was given does give me the option whether to include the yellow outline or not, simply by putting a yellow B before the Sky one. Thoughts?

DZ2NVyy.jpg

Thank you Mike. This left me equally confused as before, but also more intrigued!

I might opt for the plain Sky letter after all, as it would look extremely large otherwise compared to the other letters... but the harder I look, the more I am conviced the outline is there. Gah!

There is absolutely no limit to my stupidity... good heavens.

At this rate the kit will be finished in 2054.

Sorry gentlemen.

Do not apologize !!  Absolutely unnecessary .

CA8xzm8.jpg

Take your time and have fun  :)

No, I mean that I've done a major, major mistake.

I was applying the decals. I was going to opt for the yellow outline on the B. I did not realise that the decals Richard had given me was one huge film, and that one had to trim around the letters to the best of ones ability. So the first ones turned to scrap when trying to remove excess film when the decal was already in place.

Richard, bless him, had given me 4x B's - two yellows, for the outlines - and two sky colored. That meant I got another attempt.

I trimmed the decals. Applied them. MicroSol'd them... when I was happy with the result, I noticed they weren't completely straight. They were destroyed when attempting to correct this.

There is one more thing I can try to do to save this plane. But it won't be now, as my mojo is even worse than before.

EDIT: Custom made masks seems like a viable option. I'll ask around.

Edited by Sparzanza