• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:17 AM

Hopefully warning point are being handed out.

What are warning points ?

I'm new here.  :shrug:

• Bomber_County and Jeff like this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#32 Gigant

Gigant

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:47 AM

Doesn't sound like we are the ones getting "bent" ....just sayin. I spend hundreds of dollars on just one build quite often. If 35 dollars is what it would take to get me the correct decals, well hand 'em over! It's only money....

Personally, when I buy decals, for instance, smart outfits like yellow-wingsdecals.com send them by USPS Media Mail, which is a domestic special low rate for shipping books, magazines, journals, cds, dvds, etc.

When I buy model kits and/or supplies, I have never needed to buy from outside the U.S., and I insist on UPS or FedEx 2-day shipping, and like Smitty pay the "extra" $10.00, which is usually less then 10% of my total purchase.

If there is a firm that refuses to agree, I keep my money where it is, and they can keep their stuff.

So instead of getting "bent", I choose alternatives that agree with my spending choices, or simply have more money so as to not worry about paying a bill with.

Edited by Gigant, 24 February 2018 - 02:59 AM.

:innocent: Tom

My photo album: https://www.flickr.c...1984@N04/albums

#33 Tnarg

Tnarg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:49 AM

I believe there is more going on with postage rates than most people, and especially many politicians are aware of. Take a look at any online sales website, and consider how a small object can sell for $5 US, ship postage free from country C to country A, and the the same thing would cost $25 in country A, and cost over $12 to ship back to country C or even ship internally in country A.

I can only suppose that the postage agreements between country C and country A, or possibly between pretty much all the alphabet of countries say that if you paid your shipping origin country's postage, the receiving delivery country is obligated to finish the delivery, regardless of the original fees paid. I doubt that they exchange costs.

This lets any country decide that exports make their country work better, and that exports need to be supported by free postage... or not. A private postal service doesn't let your country play those games, and definitely won't "bring back jobs" that are lost to foreign competition.

Just my theory about this, but this situation has made me think about the consequences of postal rates for quite a while. Is it real? I don't know.

Tnarg

#34 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:07 AM

Uhm. DHL quoted me $400 to ship a 1/32 Trumpeter Wildcat from Johannesburg to Columbia, South Carolina. It was $80 of I used the national Postal Service, but then I might as well have flushed it down the drain. Getting stuff into SA is relatively cheap compared to getting stuff out. We have a delivery service town to town that is about $9 and takes about 2 days, but that is a public company. As soon as we have to deal with a SOE, you know there will be problems. 

Edited by Gerhard, 24 February 2018 - 05:07 AM.

#35 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Unfortunately, the issue is the same all over the world.
The volume of mail managed by the Post Offices is decreasing sharply, as it is replaced by electronic mail (and this will continue when sending invoices electronically will become compulsory - France on January 1st, 2019, for instance - rather than facultative)
But on the other hand, Post Offices HAVE to continue ensuring the delivery of mail to each and every spot of a country, and this requires people on the ground, with limits to the productivity gains you can expect, as the physical distances will still exist.

There is only one conclusion: Post Offices will continue to loose money, and as they are under pressure to limit their impact on Public spending, they will increase their tariffs, entering into a more and more vicious circle... FYI, the price of a stamp has jumped +12 % on January 1st this year in France. So it’s not USPS only.

As citizens, we have to decide if we want to keep - and pay for, directly, or via taxes - a Postal Service. It will have to subsidized by taxpayers’ money if we want to keep it as it was ... The political choice is to accept this or choose to subsidize Dow Jones companies by lowering profit taxes with increased Federal Budget deficit ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers, 24 February 2018 - 10:58 PM.

• Jack likes this

#36 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

Personally, when I buy decals, for instance, smart outfits like yellow-wingsdecals.com send them by USPS Media Mail, which is a domestic special low rate for shipping books, magazines, journals, cds, dvds, etc.

When I buy model kits and/or supplies, I have never needed to buy from outside the U.S., and I insist on UPS or FedEx 2-day shipping, and like Smitty pay the "extra" $10.00, which is usually less then 10% of my total purchase.

If there is a firm that refuses to agree, I keep my money where it is, and they can keep their stuff.

So instead of getting "bent", I choose alternatives that agree with my spending choices, or simply have more money so as to not worry about paying a bill with.

Correction please. Magazines are not allowed to go via Media Mail rates because they carry advertising. No matter how old the ads are they still count as commercial publications.

So how do some folks send magazines at Media Mail rates? Simple. They don't tell anyone what is in the box. Is that legal? No.

What happens if the post office catches you doing that? I do not know. When I sell magazines I tell the buyers that they will pay parcel post rates. When one or two guys complained I said don't buy from me if you do not want to follow their rules. End of discussion.

:punk:

• Rick Griewski likes this
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#37 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

Well, when they ship from the USA they are only shipping just up the road, and at least if you guys are in the UK or Europe, your stuff goes on an airplane, when they ship from the USA to Canada, it is like they are shipping to another planet! All I need is a little SPACE in the truck for my order, I just don't WANT TO BUY THE WHOLE TRUCK !!!!!  I see that a lot of times there is free shipping within the CONUS, so as I live fairly close to the USA border, I get it shipped to my buddy's place and then  whip down and pick it up, usually on a 48hr trip so no Duties and taxes for Justin .....

• mozart and Gigant like this

#38 Gigant

Gigant

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

Well, when they ship from the USA they are only shipping just up the road, and at least if you guys are in the UK or Europe, your stuff goes on an airplane, when they ship from the USA to Canada, it is like they are shipping to another planet! All I need is a little SPACE in the truck for my order, I just don't WANT TO BUY THE WHOLE TRUCK !!!!!  I see that a lot of times there is free shipping within the CONUS, so as I live fairly close to the USA border, I get it shipped to my buddy's place and then  whip down and pick it up, usually on a 48hr trip so no Duties and taxes for Justin .....

I wonder if that was a reason HobbyCraft, Canada quit doing scale model kits?

• Jeff likes this

:innocent: Tom

My photo album: https://www.flickr.c...1984@N04/albums

#39 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,868 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

No political commentary there. Nope, not at all.

Not sure why people feel compelled to mention the President’s name or talk about the “wall”, neither of which have any relevance to the discussion of USPS post rates. Hopefully warning point are being handed out.

Yes, and it really needs to stop. The concept of "No Politics", seems to escape some people.

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#40 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:59 PM

Any of you remember the hike in gasoline prices a few years back when gasoline cost $4.50 a gallon in the USA?

Who can forget it?

Well the USPS added a surcharge for long distance delivery of packages to cover the higher charges the airlines and trucking companies were charging to cover the higher cost of the fuel. That seemed reasonable back then. It meant a really big hike in shipping charges for me on the east coast to ship a package to the west coast.

But, when the fuel costs dropped back down to $2.25 a gallon some smart cookie in the post office's HQ said, why not keep the surcharges as a permanent raise?

And so they did.

And so we the people of the US of A are paying to lower the USPS deficit.  I am not saying that is good or bad, but it is what it is.

It just  means that I seldom buy anything from the west coast these days.

Yes, there are some scumbags who are on the east coast near me who are charging the west coast higher prices on eBay but that is how eBay gets called evilbay. :wicked:

The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#41 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Fuel still just about $4 here so whatever

#42 GrahamF

GrahamF

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

I'm not totally convinced the usps tracking system is in operation as I've noticed that it is updated when I send out from here in the UK but goes off the radar as soon as it hits US shores. I don't think they know that scanning the barcode is the thing that updates the parcel as it travels. If you try and ring to find out you just get a constant busy message and online is just a dead end. Luckily I've never had a failure but it doesn't seem good value for money.

#43 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,525 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

Any of you remember the hike in gasoline prices a few years back when gasoline cost $4.50 a gallon in the USA?

Who can forget it?

Wow........it's still over $4.50 a gallon over here in the old world............i guess everything might be an issue in one or the other way........

• Jeff likes this

everyone in the circuit switch off your radios....now switch 'em back on again......

#44 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:37 AM

You wanna make your head hurt ?  Read Wiki's USPS page : https://en.wikipedia..._Postal_Service

The United States Postal Service employs some 617,000 workers, making it the third-largest civilian employer in the United States behind the federal government and Wal-Mart.

They're required by the government to maintain a 75 billion dollar

fund to pay for employee retirements.  No wonder they're going broke.

No I didn't read the whole page :mental:  but there was a funny

part where in 1913,  some idiot couple tried to mail their

4 year old daughter to her grandparents. After that the

mailing of people was outlawed . :o

What torques me is the bundle of advertisement/coupons I get

in the mail routinely (I call it paper spam / a waste of trees).

I see a day when state owned enterprises don't handle the mail.

Paper letters/documents are going away. I'll all be packages

delivered by private companies (competition ?? :hmmm:  hmm).

Amazon's already headed in that direction. :popcorn:

Edited by mmaben, 25 February 2018 - 01:38 AM.

• gerry1 and Jeff like this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#45 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

Fuel still just about $4 here so whatever

You have my sympathy. Really, I am not kidding. With forest fires, mudslides, earthquakes, very little public transportation, etc. you have it much rougher than those of us who live on the east coast of the USA. :punk:

• Jeff likes this
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users