This old house

JRutman

Jerry,

Most IMPRESSIVE !

The wooden effect roof is superb.

It reminds ME of a tiny house near MY home located in sumptuous grounds.

The Estate belongs to a very old { almost 100 years old } lady of German descent who married an

English aristocrat .within the Estate is a 17th century house which has extremely tiny windows and

your house reminds Me Of that.

The grounds are quite famous as it is believed that ROBIN HOOD is buried there.

Your house is very good.

You will have To say what material you used to make those " stone" like walls and the wooden beam work is exceptional.

Will be back for more,keep up the good work!

The stone foundation is plaster of paris,dried,carved and painted. Thanks for the kind words. So you live in Nottinghamshire?

J

Jerry

What's the inspiration for the structure?

Peter

I lived in Germany 6 years and drove all over in search of the coolest medeaval buildings that I could find. I found a lot! This house is just from my head and is a typical style townhouse from around 1500.

J

Guest Peterpools

This is absolutely fascinating and to think, it's already lead us to Robin Hood. Of course, for me, I hear the name Robin Hood and Immediately think of Errol Flynn.

Peter

Jerry

Nice one! Like the bit of wattle showing through where the plaster has come away. Stone base as well, gotta keep the cob dry.

Are you going to thatch it? I've just spent the last few weeks watching a house couple of doors away being re-thatched. It would be eminently replicable in 35th scale, something like the bristles from a nylon bristled broom would be about scale for reed or straw thatch.

The only things I's say are the door isn't right fr that style. It'd be more likely vertical planks with a structure on the back of the door to hold it together and the door and window would, up until relatively recently, have been more likely in natural wood - when oak and other hardwoods were more typical building materials we didn't need to paint them to keep weather out.....

Look forward to seeing more of this one...

Matt

Jerry

Nice one! Like the bit of wattle showing through where the plaster has come away. Stone base as well, gotta keep the cob dry.

Are you going to thatch it? I've just spent the last few weeks watching a house couple of doors away being re-thatched. It would be eminently replicable in 35th scale, something like the bristles from a nylon bristled broom would be about scale for reed or straw thatch.

The only things I's say are the door isn't right fr that style. It'd be more likely vertical planks with a structure on the back of the door to hold it together and the door and window would, up until relatively recently, have been more likely in natural wood - when oak and other hardwoods were more typical building materials we didn't need to paint them to keep weather out.....

Look forward to seeing more of this one...

Matt

Matt!

Thanks for looking in bubba. I will not be thatching this one as it is supposed to be the 40's in Europe. It will have a tile roof as most of the pics I have seen from the central continent have.

The door and window are fresh styrene and have not been painted yet. It would havebeen a royal pain to make them out of real wood so I went this route.

I am envious of some one that can"watch a house being thatched" down the street where I live. We have one building here in our area that was build as a nice and pretty accurate replica of an english cottage with half timber and thatch. This an anomoly around here so every time I drive by I am still amazed by it.

J

This is absolutely fascinating and to think, it's already lead us to Robin Hood. Of course, for me, I hear the name Robin Hood and Immediately think of Errol Flynn.

Peter

Thanks for looking in brother.

I think of the BBC series from the 80s or the new movie with Russel Crowe. Excellent take on the old story and cool middle age stuff in it. They even show the LOndon Bridge(the old one) under construction in the background of one scene at Williams castle(the conquerer) which is shown in it's near original glory as well. Say what you will about Russel,his films have a lot of well researched,accurate stuff in em(see Master and Commander)

J

Nice one Jerry.

thack.jpg

My local pub. Funnily enough, it is called The Moulder's arms! known locally es The Thack.

Tim

Wow Tim,that is an awesome pub. I am envious. The roof looks like it needs replacing though. I wonder if it leaks? Thanks for posting. I am still plugging away at the halftrack.

J

Wow Tim,that is an awesome pub. I am envious. The roof looks like it needs replacing though. I wonder if it leaks? Thanks for posting. I am still plugging away at the halftrack.

J

Do you mean the Christmas lights hanging down? It has only been redone about eight years ago . Never heard of any leaks but two or three fires due to sparks from the badly pointed chimney!!

No I live in another county where it has been suggested that ROBIN HOOD was buried there when he shot his arrow that it came this way...the GODS COUNTRY According to those born here YORKSHIRE!

The pub near ME is called THE THREE NUNS , named after the Nuns who looked after ROBIN HOOD when he was injured, and they worked in the nearby Abbey.

Good work by the way.

{ I was born abroad !}

Ah yes,makes sense now. More than a few lads from Yorkshire in the LSP crowd that gathers at Telford. Will you be attending?

Thanks,

J