Williams Bros Caudron C450

Alain Gadbois

Great work Alain, looking mighty fine so far.

I managed to grab a couple of WB racers at Telford for a very good price. They put a big smile on my face every time I think of them and are reasonably near the top of the stack/stash.

Torben

Thanks Torben, too bad this era attracts little attention from manufacturers. I wonder if there were kits like WNW around, the sheer quality would attract customers like what happened to WWI subjects.

Tnarg, Thank you for the info, that sheet with the radiators looks fantastic!

Back to the C450, I removed material around the nose area to create an area where to put a new engine (6 in-line cylinders). The kit provides just one cylinder as a trompe l'oeil, which is OK, but I managed to loose it years ago so I will now scratch all that is visible through the front intake.

ROJ8Ymn.jpg

Here is the cushion I made for the seat, with lead foil. I am pretty happy with it actually! The 6 cylinders I cast from a mold I created for the Martlet project that needed a Wright engine. These will be modified to look like the ones on the C450 engine.

985N66K.jpg

Bye for now!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Excellent problem solving skills Alain

Thank you Brian!

Now here is the sum of the work I managed to accomplish yesterday. I thought I could share last night but I fell asleep on the couch after the kids went to bed and woke up at 1:30AM!

I weathered the cockpit sides with pastel dust(some black and brown), using an old brush as the dust will ruin a new one! Tamiya primer is very flat but super smooth so it is easy to add little layers until the result is satisfying. It is possible to remove some excess with your finger. The effect has to be subtle, as the plane is very clean.

I still have to add the throttle on the left side and a similar item of unknown use on the right side. 

OhzRw5o.jpg

Next I did the control stick. First I hoped to use the kit part, but scraping off the mold marks made the part too oval so I made a new one in brass, wire made into 2 rings and the grip made with Ferreo Rocher foil.

n7W5wae.jpg

Here it is in place. There is subtle wheathering again on the seat and floor board. The white styrene pin is the start of the future rudder pedal assembly. I couldn't paint the brass with a brush (twice) so I stripped  it again and dipped it in the Tamiya jar and it was OK! The seat was spray painted with Tamiya red brown and given a brown wash. Some touch ups were done with a brush...

DxAFQN8.jpg

Here is an idea of what the cockpit will look like:

52emBah.jpg

Finally for the GB, a bit of the color blue! Once more Tamiya spray can. I think it does a great job and no airbrush to clean. The color is French Blue appropriately! The prop is black in preparation for Alclad. The nose section is primed, but there is still clean up to do in the air duct before blue is applied.

WDdzSxL.jpg

So there it is! Not finished but 2 months ago it was forgotten in the back of a closet, and now it is really coming along great! This is what GBs are about for me, as I am always looking at the stash, to note what kits could fit the next GB. A project can suddenly be resurrected and provide me with many enjoyable hours of work and fun sharing along!

I think it should be moved over to the Works in progress section.

Thank you all for your kind words and support!

Alain

Guest Peterpools

Alain

Wonderful progress and bringing an old kit up to today's detail level is quite the project.

Keep 'em comin

Peter