Jerry Rutman's D-13

Guest Martinnfb

Gentleman Thanks for the comments. This is going to be a tricky build as I realized when the Tamia's putty peeled off of my propeller. I do not have much experience with resin. So your help and comments are most highly appreciated. Thanks again.

All I use is Tamiya putty. It should not peal off as you describe. I suspect you did not give the parts a good wash in soapy water. Myself, I give resin a bath in soapy water and a good rinse in clean water. For large parts, I also give them a wipe with some rubbing alcohol swabs and a light sanding with 600+ grit sand paper.

Give that a go an that putty shouldn't lift

Ron

Edited by ron

Thank you for advice Ron, i do appreciate that. i did wash it in soapy water but this time I did not use dishwasher detergent as usually , but a hand soap. I was to lazy go to the kitchen and get it. however, I am going to try Tamiya polyester putty, that should stick a bit better.

All I use is Tamiya putty. It should not peal off as you describe. I suspect you did not give the parts a good wash in soapy water. Myself, I give resin a bath in soapy water and a good rinse in clean water. For large parts, I also give them a wipe with some rubbing alcohol swabs and a light sanding with 600+ grit sand paper.

Give that a go an that putty shouldn't lift

Ron

Ray,

that is an excellent picture. Thanks for sharing, there is never going to be enough of a long nose FW pictures.Thanks again

Martin

Now that I know it is working, I have few more of "Yellow 10." I will post them in case they are of some help.

OK here is the rest of my pics of "Yellow 10" as it was at the Museum of Flight...

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

There you go! I hope they are of some help. The way the museum had the aircraft you couldn't get to the back, and the back lighting made it a pain!

Beautiful. Thank You Ray.

It is very obvious that this is work of love with lots of pride in it. I am so grateful to Jerry Crandall and another people who dedicated so much to this restoration.

Having said that I would like to extend my thanks to everyone who is involved in the war birds restoration process.

Martin

OK here is the rest of my pics of "Yellow 10" as it was at the Museum of Flight...

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

There you go! I hope they are of some help. The way the museum had the aircraft you couldn't get to the back, and the back lighting made it a pain!

Just want to make sure that you know that this plane that you stand in front of was painted by Jerry Crandal himself!

J

As a clarification, according to Mr Crandall, in a recent post (1/25/2011) on HS, he did not paint the aircraft:

"When Doug Champlin had the D-13 restored in Arizona he asked me to help with the color camouflage and markings for which I did supply photos, paint chips etc to them. He also asked me to help in the actual painting process, but by the time I arrived at the restoration facility, the painting had already been completed. I did not have any hand in actual painting of the aircraft.

The colors are okay, but unfortunately the paint was too thickly applied and with not enough thinner, so it splattered in places when compared to the war time camouflage which is much softer and more thinly applied."

I had thought he had painted it as well (until his post above).

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by DougN

yeah , but it smels nice :party0023:

There is likely your problem. Most hand soap has lotion or anti-bacterial additives. Your soap may have greased the parts rather than degreased.

Edited by Martinnfb