Monogram Piper Tri Pacer Finished!

ericg

Wow. This brings back memories and I have some of the same kits in my own stash. Thank you for the inspiration! In the '70s, I was building my flight time helping out a friend who sold Citabrias. Since I got my Private in a Cessna 140 and had my Commercial, I got to fly a variety of Bellancas. But then he got a Tripacer in on trade, and I had a ball with that little milk stool. After some 20 hours of flight time, the Tripacer had its annual inspection, and they found the engine mount was cracked in two places and the tail cone had about 50lbs of starling nests in it. Talk about a sobering moment...

Guest Peterpools

Tripacers and Colts, Cubs and Pacers were built the real way:

Steel tubing for the fuselage, fabric covered and all shared the same basic fabric covered wing.

Took a lot of hard work to bend and break ‘em

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. It is great to see that this build is bringing back alot of fond memories!

Ih you have any way of showing us in more detail how you tackled these über cool door hinges, I am a taker :popcorn:

Hubert

I have been a bit slack with taking in progress pics of all of my builds of late Hubert, but I managed to get a couple of the door hinges.I took some thin aluminium window blind and cut it into a rough hinge shape, then drilled a .3mm hole for the pin through each part for the pins. I then sawed a slit into the plastic where the hinge was going to be located (just visible behind each hinge) and then superglued each part in position. I then filed the hinges to shape with a diamond file. There is alot more metal in each hinge than what meets the eye as it is buried into the door and fuselage via the slits that I made which go quite deep into the plastic. The rear door was fairly easy but the front was alot more challenging as it has been built to represent a piano hinge and had to have no gap when open.

Rear door:

IMG_2672-X3.jpg

IMG_2674-X3.jpg

I finished the nose gear with the addition of the torque link form plastic card and the spray deflector, which was made from the same aluminium window blind as above.

IMG_2748-X3.jpg

The instrument panel with its weird slanted shape. I hand painted the `Piper` on each control wheel and also added some chipping.

IMG_2704-X3.jpg

I then added the characteristic diagonal braces, made from brass rod.

IMG_2749-X3.jpg

The addition of the braces required some surgery to the windscreen to allow them to fit. 

IMG_2744-X3.jpg

I sanded the windscreen inside and out with 800 grit sand paper, then smoothed it with a sanding sponge, followed by a buff with a nail buffing pad. I then used my rather risky technique of polishing it with a cloth flapper wheel and polishing compound to bring it up crystal clear.

IMG_2746-X3.jpg

The small tail skid was also a fairly noticeable feature on the real thing, so I had to incorporate it on the model with some brass rod. Also visible is the bell cranks on the rudder which I made with plastic card. 

IMG_2751-X3.jpg

The kit undercarriage braces were replaced with brass rod. Visible in the pic is a small mod that I have made to the main undercarriage part where I have filled and scribed the centre section to make it appear as two pieces instead of one.

IMG_2752-X3.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

OMG ... the memories just keep flooding in.

Thanks so much to the tutorial on the door hinges as down the road I can see building two of these kits: A Tri Pacer and a Colt. The IP and control wheels look spot on the money and the diagonal braces up front: Perfect!

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Edited by Peterpools