Suggestions for a quiet air compressor?

CANicoll

Fellow LSP'ers

I'm in the market for a possible replacement to my old Badger 180-1 compressor.  It works ok, but is kind of noisy.  What do you all use that you like, is quiet(er) and works well?

Thanks in advance!  

Chris

Get a bottle of gas

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/18/t/7055.aspx

now i know it was 2003 BUT

I use a C02 tank for airbrushing and I must say that I wish I had do it a long time ago before purchacing a compressor. I purchased a 30 lb tank at my local Carbon Dioxide Sales dealer for only $150.00(less than average hobby compresors in my area). The company set me up with the nessessary equipment such as the tank and line gauge and regulator; heck they even filled it for free too! There are many size tanks available depending on how much spraying you anticipate doing. A 30lb tank will hold enough compressed air to airbrush 15 to 20 1/72nd models before refilling for me. The air is clean and dry(no moisture trap needed), easy to regulate and best of all, it's completely silent with no eletricaly powered parts. Refills in my area for a 30lb tank costs me approx. $16.00 and its takes me around 2 years to use up a full tank...(IF) I'm really airbrushing alot. FSM did several articles and features on "Powering your Airbrush" covering the C02 tank option, thats how I came to use one today!

If you're really looking for something quiet, you should throw an eye on oil compressors. Werther compressors for example are very good but any oil compressor should do the job. I got myself a Werther SilAir 20A last year and i'm very happy.

cheers Chris

Chris, Chris (2), Ian, Peter, Bill - Thanks!! I have LOTS to choose from.  I much prefer to buy when I know someone is happy with what they have and kind of like looking at photo tripods - there are actually hundreds to choose from!

Chris

A compressor with tank and a timer work better than a silent one. Just set the time to refill for when you are away and only the neighbor will notice. Completely silent at all other times of the day.

I just bought this set up from ebay and got it last week.   Extremely quiet and awesome value so far.  Hopefully will last several years.  I included a link.  I am not affiliated with this company.  Dan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paasche-VL-SET-Airbrush-System-Kit-Air-Compressor-Tank-T-Shirt-Hobby-Cake-Tattoo-/190988770292?hash=item2c77d15bf4:g:KyUAAOSwFqJWrXM~

Take a look at the California Air 5510A compressor. I'm very impressed with how quiet it is as is my wife who shares the hobby room with me. I've been very happy with the performance too. Highly recommend this compressor.

Mike