CONQUEST 1

ruzlkampf

For a looksy at what those reverse scoops are on the landing gear doors,....refer to posts 5 & 6. Here's everything ready for me to start chopping on the outer wing-tips, and getting ready to fill all those pesky rivet holes with glazing putty. I like putty. ^_^

post-4413-1260281461.jpg

Aaaaaand last pic of the night to show what I'll be carving on tomorrow. Lotsa little widgets to still mock up. For those wondering how the heck I'm going to do my decals....here's a preview of what I've got going on with paper at the moment. Man, I sure am having a blast whomping on this thing. Should have some more progress pics tomorrow, eh?! Squawk at everybody then! later, Russ

post-4413-1260281721.jpg

Yippee, Day-3.....and the putty has been flying! Took off a day from posting yesterday to do the artsy-fartsy compiling and drawing my decals up. That was fun. :) I almost slipped up and forgot the obligatory 'EXPERIMENTAL' moniker under the cockpit,....and the pilots name 'Daryl' right above that. This pic shows a test print on paper of my markings, my jigged up prop/spinner, and starting to fill in all those pesky rivet holes. Nice shade of coral red sanding dust from the 3-m Bondo glazing putty I've been using for that. That stuff is the bomb for doing surface smoothing.

Hmmm, oh yeah I've been working on the landing gear also. Here's a broad over-view;

post-4413-1260449484.jpg

Couldn't resist the temptation to tape everything up for a looksy. Got the wing tips chopped off and ready for final contouring, and I'll be smoothing those intakes at the wing root while I'm at it with milliput. Then, it'll take me about an hour to finish smoothing all the rest of the wing with glazing putty.

Heh, heh.....this thing looks like a 'bumble-bee on a bender', or a 'beer-barrel bearcat'. I like it. :)

post-4413-1260449782.jpg

Bahahahahahah! Thanks Hans,.....this is going to be a slam-dunker as i've got to finish it before the new year. I've already started cutting out paper templates for the fin fillet and wing-root fairings. Just had to cut out the profile of the 'Cosmic Wind' formula 1 canopy this had on it. Things a real head-knocker as it's so small. I'm looking for a pilot head with no helmet,.....just some earphones, cuz that's all that'll fit under the dang thing. heh heh.

post-4413-1260450103.jpg

There's a little 'stinger' fairing extension that covers the area where the tail-hook woulda come out that looks pretty cool. Gotta get the basics down before I get a chance to add any of the racing mods. I've already showed some paper test prints of my decals, .....here's a sheet I printed up on decal paper with LOT'S of extras. These will be going on the plane eventually.

post-4413-1260450500.jpg

Just for funsy's I cut out the paper test markings and colored up the prop blue with red tips to show ya'll an idea of what this will look like with some color on it. Afixed to some enlarged drawings of Conquest-1 in 1/32nd scale. These helped me to get them the correct size. This build is going to start rolling downhill at a pretty fast clip now that I've got the basic idea of what I'm going to do. Whooohoo! Races are fun,.....more pics as things progress! :) later, Russ

post-4413-1260450828.jpg

VERY nice so far!

One thing I might suggest in (if you havnt already noticed) is the the OOB wheels from trumpy touch the top of the stock trumpy gear......NO CLEARANCE.

I might suggest pickin up a set of the 1/32 metal gear from SC as they have the more correct gap to let the wheels actually rotate.

Cheers,

Brian

Whoohooo! Yep, I'm having a blast with this thing Thor! ^_^ Been doing a lot of 'behind the scenes' stuff on this that I'm going to show when it comes time to paint; like flipping the engine ancillaries to have a down-draft carb,...and whacking some doodads in the wheel well area to make it look more modified. Decided on this pilot out of an old F-4 Phantom build. He's going to have a 'Captain America' painted helmet. Finally got the wings pretty much knocked out by finishing the wingtips, resculpting/filling the intakes, and giving it a general block sanding for smoothness. Here's a general walk-around of where I'm starting at the beginning of Day-6.

Still no primer on it yet, cuz I wanted to show it in all it's hoary splendor. ;)

post-4413-1260675208.jpg

Rear view to show how it's starting to look a mite 'different'. ;) Can't wait to get the fuse 1/2's afixed so I can start smoothing out all the rivets there. I'll show some detailed pics of the exhaust areas and stuff later, after I start painting.

post-4413-1260675524.jpg