• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#91 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

I feel we as a group provided more hype (excitement) for ourselves than WNW. The company always has some sort of 'coming soon' type of place holder on their site. The anticipation is a big fun part of the hobby and being part of the group for me at least. Ernie's comment about the D-1 and innovation of the times made me think that WNW has a good sense of the history of the evolution of WWI era aircraft design. We should weight this a bit more during our ( Marketing-like) guessing game and beyond historical aviation encounters.

Rick

Don't necessarily agree with that.

They teased this release more heavily than any other I recall, even going so far as to pre-tease the tease, announcing not the date of the release, but the date of the announcement of the release!  

All that for a small, simple, $79 kit that is an obscure historical footnote of an aircraft?

In my poll thread asking what people thought might be released, someone early on suggested it would be a Fokker Dr.1 (finally) and it would all make sense as in April we will see the 100th anniversary of the death of Manfred von Richthofen.

Other than Archduke Ferdinand and possibly a few others, I would suggest von Richthofen is the single most commonly mentioned name associated with all of WWI, let alone the aerial combat portion of WWI.

THAT makes sense as a release to be teased to high heaven, especially given the 100th anniversary angle...

I am still holding out hope that WNW DOES intend to do something like this, perhaps with a sneak release of a DR.I on the date of von Richthofen's death.  

Who knows what they might do.  I find the way they release kits to be a lot of fun.  You never know what you are going to get, or when! 

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

#92 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

The choice probably has more to do with what Peter Jackson likes than some super market evaluation...otherwise they would be hitting the Neiuports and Dr.1's.

Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#93 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,491 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:20 PM

With the Baron having also flown aircraft other than the F.I/Dr.I, I think it's entirely possible we may still yet see an aircraft that represents him (the Halberstadt D.II comes to mind).

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#94 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

Anyone that thinks Peter Jackson doesn't have deep feelings and a wonderful depth of knowledge of all things WWI has never been to Wellington, New Zealand and seen "The scale of Our War " or "The Great War" exhibitions.  Everything is done in exacting and loving detail, and I do mean everything.

I would say that the Junkers D.1 is more fitting a choice for WNW than a Fokker Dr.1 from the WNW perspective as it is unlikely to ever be kitted by anyone else.  

We are blessed by having so many kits to choose from does it really matter if a company produces kit X rather than kit Y?

• Kagemusha and RLWP like this
These thoughts courtesy of a madman found chained to his workbench hidden deep within his subterranean Factory of Devious Inventions.  
No notice should be taken of his ramblings whatsoever.

#95 gingerbob

gingerbob

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Personally, I think it's a bloody brilliant choice!

This kit will bring new guys into our safe, snobbish little niche in the hobby....

C'mon you jet jocks, let's build!!!

With the previous talk about hot-rods and What ifs, you've given me an idea... Top Gun 3, the prequel, in which Pete "Maverick" Mitchell's grandfather takes on the Generals and falls in love with Clara Bow...

I guess I’m happy for those who really like this sort of thing, but a mainstream injection molded kit of a historical footnote (at the very best)? There were 41 built, including the prototypes. Odd.

I know, right?  I mean, WingNut Wings doesn't even have a Me 109G in their lineup yet.  Sheesh!

• Tnarg likes this

#96 EvilCarrot

EvilCarrot

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

I don't care about historical significance for me it's all aesthetics and I really like the looks of this one. :)
  • Rick Griewski, Out2gtcha, Tnarg and 1 other like this

#97 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Well said Dan, if someone wants to produce a WNW standard (insert subject of choice) there's nothing stopping them, and if WNW want to produce (insert subject of choice) who's to criticise, it's a free world, no..?

It's an interesting subject in the development of aviation -
just like the Ho 229 - I'm looking forward to getting one.
  • wunwinglow, Out2gtcha and Tnarg like this

#98 DannyVM

DannyVM

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Don't necessarily agree with that.

They teased this release more heavily than any other I recall, even going so far as to pre-tease the tease, announcing not the date of the release, but the date of the announcement of the release!  

All that for a small, simple, $79 kit that is an obscure historical footnote of an aircraft?

In my poll thread asking what people thought might be released, someone early on suggested it would be a Fokker Dr.1 (finally) and it would all make sense as in April we will see the 100th anniversary of the death of Manfred von Richthofen.

Other than Archduke Ferdinand and possibly a few others, I would suggest von Richthofen is the single most commonly mentioned name associated with all of WWI, let alone the aerial combat portion of WWI.

THAT makes sense as a release to be teased to high heaven, especially given the 100th anniversary angle...

I am still holding out hope that WNW DOES intend to do something like this, perhaps with a sneak release of a DR.I on the date of von Richthofen's death.  

Who knows what they might do.  I find the way they release kits to be a lot of fun.  You never know what you are going to get, or when! 

Totally agree with that. They teased us and at the end it's a real bummer. Sad to see that two times in a row they brought something out that was not really significant for that time. The Fokker DR.I would be a far more better choice, even as the Nieuport and Spad fighters. I still can't believe that Peter Jackson pop's such tiny un-important subjects above great wel-know fighters, to me it feel's like it's almost a bad joke :mental:  :mental:

At least we still have the KH F-5 fighters to look forward :m0152:

• Out2gtcha likes this

28XK8T9m.jpg

#99 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

I still can see why they did it, as it seems like an esoteric choice to me too, but its Sir Peters company, and he obviously likes the airframe, significant or not.  

Im still holding on to the notion that someday Ill be able to do a WnW version of Guynemer's Spad VII/VIII.  

C'est dommage!    Peut-être un jour 

#100 vince14

vince14

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Totally agree with that. They teased us and at the end it's a real bummer. Sad to see that two times in a row they brought something out that was not really significant for that time. The Fokker DR.I would be a far more better choice, even as the Nieuport and Spad fighters. I still can't believe that Peter Jackson pop's such tiny un-important subjects above great wel-know fighters, to me it feel's like it's almost a bad joke

It might be a bummer for you but there are plenty of us who like the subject choice, no-one is forcing you to buy it and, frankly, all the 'I want a Dr.I' chatter is getting rather tired.

So there were only 48 examples of the Junkers D.I built? Well, so what? There were only ever 320 Fokker Dr.I's built, and if it were not for MvR's association with it (which was brief - just 19 of his 80 kills were in one, and he only flew the type for about six months), it too would be classed as a rather un-important and not paticularly successful aircraft.

• Rick Griewski and John Irwin like this

#101 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

It all comes down to personal choice boys. To some the DR.1 would be a disappointment, to others like myself the D.1 is a disappointment.
No one's opinion (and they are all just that) is more important than anyone else's. Everyone has the right to want what they want and state as such.

Likeability, and popularity (which I have to say for the most part are with the DR.1) don't necessarily go hand in hand with success nor production numbers.
  • LSP_Typhoonattack and Gazzas like this

#102 DannyVM

DannyVM

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

It might be a bummer for you but there are plenty of us who like the subject choice, no-one is forcing you to buy it and, frankly, all the 'I want a Dr.I' chatter is getting rather tired.

Indeed, it's a real bummer to me, and yes that's personal. I have no problem that people like the subject, if they want to spent their money to it, it's their choice, respect for that. Second, it's not about the DR.I, i just gave an example, to be honest, i rather like to see a Spad or Nieuport pop's out instead of a DR.I. 

So, if you tired of the chit chat about "I want".......please feel free to leave the discussion or don't read it, nobody's forces you to read the topic post's.  :whistle:

• Out2gtcha likes this

28XK8T9m.jpg

#103 vince14

vince14

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

People forget there are perfectly acceptable Nieuports, SPADs and a Dr.I from Roden that they could build instead of hankering for a WNW version.

WNW have always produced what they want to produce, not what people think they should produce, so there's little point in complaining about what they manufacture. If they want to do a Dr.I, or a bunch of Nieuports, they'll do it but, honestly, I don't see that happening any time soon - not whilst the Roden kits are readily available.

Edited by vince14, 06 February 2018 - 07:48 PM.

• Rick Griewski and Out2gtcha like this

#104 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

People forget there are perfectly acceptable Nieuports, SPADs and a Dr.I from Roden that they could build instead of hankering for a WNW version.

WNW have always produced what they want to produce, not what people think they should produce, so there's little point in complaining about what they manufacture. If they want to do a Dr.I, or a bunch of Nieuports, they'll do it but, honestly, I don't see that happening any time soon - not whilst the Roden kits are readily available.

Define "perfectly acceptable".  The Roden 1/32 Dr. I is not even in the same area code as the WNW release of the same plane would be.

And if we are going by the standard of "that's already been done" the Junkers D.1 has been kitted for years in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale! 

I actually like the D1, will buy it, and will enjoy building it.  I still think it was a disappointment, however, given the somewhat odd fanfare surrounding this release.

There is nothing stopping WNW from doing something special surrounding the anniversary of von Richthofen's death or some other aspect of the ending of the Great War in 1918.  I hope they do something like that b/c it would be kind of cool.

I am already thinking up a group build type project for anyone who is interested, regardless of what WNW does.

I.E., maybe we can do our own "100th Anniversary of the Death of Manfred von Richthofen" project.

I am thinking of doing one of his Albatros DVs using the WNW kit as a base.  I have the green tail trilogy box sitting in my on-deck circle as I type!

I am finishing up the Pfalz D.III at the moment.  Still need to photograph and post the photos of my now finished LVG.

As you can see, I've been absolutely overcome by WNW fever.  

I've got it bad! 

:D

#105 Dpgsbody55

Dpgsbody55

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:47 AM

I have to say that I like his release.  WNW have done a great range of WW1 models, and it's nice to see such an unusual subject.  I wish a few other injected mold plastic kit manufacturers would do the same.

Cheers,

Michael

• EvilCarrot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users